• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Trees

Robbo

Feb 5, 2018
Ok I’m new to saddles but can I hunt very limby trees like I do with lone wolf assault 2 with a saddle? Are saddles as versatile as a good loc on

Exhumis

SH Member
Mar 12, 2019
Northern Virginia
Absolutely. I’d say saddles are even more versatile than a lock on depending on your footing preference such as a ring of steps. RoS doesn’t matter the type of tree, if you can throw the strap around the tree and cinch it tight you’re good. And with a saddle you can literal just “walk” around a tree. The one set back to a limby tree might be your ascending method such as 2TC but even then it can be done with experience and caution. If you’re using sticks or SRT/DRT a limb is a must have so that makes it easier. With sticks you can incorporate the limb into your climb.

drew13

Sep 11, 2014
Maine
Yes, you can get your saddle in any tree that you can get a stand into and some that you can’t so I think overall it is more versatile. But I think there are situations where a stand would be better. Think of a scenario where there is one hole in a tree where there are no branches and it is facing where you want to face - a stand would fit right in there and you’d be facing the right way. With a saddle in the same hole, you’d naturally have your back toward where you want to be facing. You could probably swing to the side a bit or use a platform to face the right way, but a regular stand may be a better fit.

Saddle is just another tool in the toolbox, I think. Use what works best for each situation. No shame in sitting in a *gasp* fixed stand!!!

Reactions: preslar1