• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Treesaddle Recommendations

Woodsdog

I just joined the forum, I am considering purchasing a tree saddle system for my hunting. What do you guys recommend? I am from Western New York hunt a lot of hardwood ridges and bottlenecks, want something light but safe and durable. I'm open to suggestions and recommendations. I am a bow, crossbow and gun hunter.

I would recommend biting the bullet and getting a Kestrel. It is a very safe, solid, and adjustable choice. I've never read of anybody not thinking highly of theirs, even if they ultimately decided something else suited them better. I adore mine.

Pretty sure you’re going to mostly get referred to the Kestrel here.

Your choice really depends on many things.
1. Can you afford anything you want?
2. Are you afraid of or comfortable with heights and climbing?
3. Are you hunting public land or private land?

There’s probably some more questions to ask but this will really start to steer you in the right direction.

You can build a saddle system out of fleece and an arborist harness pretty cheap. Or you can spend $300+ on a Kestrel system. You then have to decide how you want/prefer to climb and then stand on the tree. This can also be decided by the questions above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is a new saddle coming out hopefully by the end of June. Look up "Hint of the New Guidos Web". I think that's what I titled the thread. Might be something interesting to you.

There is a new saddle coming out hopefully by the end of June. Look up "Hint of the New Guidos Web". I think that's what I titled the thread. Might be something interesting to you.
A new saddle??? It's about time. I thought the Kestrel was gonna be the only thing we could talk about for the rest of our natural born lives.

Thanks for the information and advice fellas. Really appreciate it. I'm glad to hear there are more options becoming available in the near future. I did get on the website for the company that sells the Kestrel and it appears to be a good product. One of you mentioned " saddles can be funny" what does that mean? I'm interested in knowing what most of you utilize and why? Drawbacks to each, things that you would like to see and all that related information. Thanks again!

Thanks for the information and advice fellas. Really appreciate it. I'm glad to hear there are more options becoming available in the near future. I did get on the website for the company that sells the Kestrel and it appears to be a good product. One of you mentioned " saddles can be funny" what does that mean? I'm interested in knowing what most of you utilize and why? Drawbacks to each, things that you would like to see and all that related information. Thanks again!
Mainly they are funny because they look like a camo diaper.

They are also "funny" because saddle comfort means different things to different people. Since you wear a saddle, it's similar to buying jeans. Different body types like different things, and big guys especially have a harder time finding some that fit. Unfortunately it can be hard to try a saddle on for size.

A size 2 Kestrel fits most people fairly well, from what I've seen. It has some adjustability built in to it, and in combination with an adjustable bridge and tether, you will most likely find a comfort zone.

Nutterbuster: I'm all of about 5'9" and 200 lbs. My waist is a tight 36" Not exactly huge but not tiny either. Funny about the diaper comment. Would the Kestral #2 fit me??? The waist sizes on their website are such a huge variation. I'm closer to the Number 1 but perhaps a little over with hunting clothes on etc. Not that I've decided to buy that model but was just looking at the sizing yesterday on their website.

Nutterbuster: I'm all of about 5'9" and 200 lbs. My waist is a tight 36" Not exactly huge but not tiny either. Funny about the diaper comment. Would the Kestral #2 fit me??? The waist sizes on their website are such a huge variation. I'm closer to the Number 1 but perhaps a little over with hunting clothes on etc. Not that I've decided to buy that model but was just looking at the sizing yesterday on their website.

I'm 6'3" 240 with a 36" waist, went with the size 2. I don't think you would regret it, especially if you layer up for colder weather.

I'm a 32-34 waist and have a size 1. It fits fine now, but it had a little pinch when I first got it. Literally lost weight to fit in the saddle better.

I still think a size 2 would be more comfortable for me. Definitely get a 2 if you get one.

I have a 36 waist 200 pounds.
I have a size 1 and 2 kestrel. The size 2 fits best but size 1 is fine

Size one has more hip pinch.

Funny I like the size 1 evolution better than the size 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm a new Kestrel owner and I don't have nearly the hours that a lot of guys have, but I'm pretty sure that comfort depends on a ton of variables. Yeah size is important, but bridge length, tether height, tether length, amount of lean/sit, knee pad quality, platform or ring of steps and what steps they may be and how they attach, your individual body type and fitness, and even your mental attitude all interact to effect comfort. And I think just as important is developing a polished system. Fumbling with the rig each time will lead to frustration, anxiety and loss of enjoyment.
I bought a size 1 and immediately tested it with my warmest layers. It feels great. No complaints about the fit or adjustments. But like most guys, I've tweaked a few things, and I'm still not done tweaking.
I'm very happy overall with my choices.

I've purchased a ambush saddle and I guess I have to get in saddle shape. I've experimented with hook up height with a rope and pruisik this AM. Hip pinch is a little more than I expected it to be. I guess I have to get used to it and toughen up. LOL. Any suggestions on hook up height? Or any other ideas? Thanks in advance for tips.

Back