• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Treestand Seat Transformation

Swamper

Ok so I’m sure this has been done many times and there are many threads that cover it but here it goes anyways. First off do this at your own risk, if you get hurt on your homemade platform it’s your fault. After a handful of hunts using screw in steps as a platform my feet were dreading going back into the woods. I did some research on ways to get more comfortable but knew that really a platform was what I needed. In my garage waiting in the cobwebs was a cheap steel lock on style treestand, I’m not sure what brand it was but it’s one that can be purchased for less than $100 and probably less than $50 if it’s after hunting season. Tools needed were simple: a hack saw, wrenches, and some new 5/16” lock nuts bolts and washers to replace the old ones. Also got some extra washers to fill the gaps so the seat had less side to side play in it.
Step 1: before hacking up a good tree stand I wanted to make sure my idea would work. I started by removing the eyelets that were located below the upper stand off on the treestand.

Step 2: I removed the old bolts that were securing the seat to the stands post and put new ones in, while also relocating the eyelets to that same position. This is where I played with adding washers to make sure there was no side to side wiggle in the seat.

Step 3: Once the new bolts were secured I made sure the seat still folded up and down easily. I then marked where I wanted to make my cuts. I cut mine just under the second cross bar on the post so that there was still two cross bars holding the post together.

Step 4: I put my saddle on and proceeded to test the platform. (at ground level) The strap seen in the pictures was removed because it was not able to be used on smaller trees. I used a ratchet strap I had laying around. (Cheap ratchet strap is being replaced)

The platform works really well. One thing for sure is that the ratchet strap must be tight as possible since the standoffs are so close to the eyelets. With the strap tight the stands off dig into the tree when weight is applied and the platform feels plenty stable underfoot. I can stand up on it and also lean or sit into my saddle. I’m able to maneuver around the tree and the platform stays stable. I weighed the platform with the ratchet strap and the weight was 4.5 lbs. That is plenty light enough for me considering the cost and time it took to make (30 minutes). I have gotten two sits in with the platform now and it worked out very well, both sits were 5-6hrs each. For transporting the platform into the woods I simply adjust the strap to a length that makes it comfortable to sling over my shoulder and remains there as I climb. (The short post with the sharp stand offs is folded into the platform so they are not a hazard in case of a slip/trip.) The platform can also be secured to a backpack if needed.

Here’s some photos of the project.

7a05da0f56b531a2fe7ff18806a796b3.jpg
c45b98854285974aac5993c0b71ae86d.jpg
c1e647c81a6a976aa6bbc21e187ddc43.jpg
87f28de12abeef0621d3ef932fc453e8.jpg
e3c556bce779decc9e7782da15b8fe8b.jpg
4f3c8a8193177ba74018e071ad1a5583.jpg
27a5ae8c74f5a10aba6852378284e5a0.jpg
c8ddc1d1dd8dad8e47a45580f532a8a9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at getting an OCB buckle maybe, lighter and quieter than the ratchet

Look at getting an OCB buckle maybe, lighter and quieter than the ratchet

Will check it out. Does the OCB get as tight as a ratchet? As mentioned with this particular platform the strap has be very tight too be steady.

Will check it out. Does the OCB get as tight as a ratchet? As mentioned with this particular platform the strap has be very tight too be steady.

It seems to, but may take a reset of on a soft bark tree. My buddy uses it on his platform. Not real expensive by maybe you can ask DanO his opinion or open a thread to get more people’s opinions on it

I picked the ocb over a ratchet strap for my platform.....less movement, less noise, less weight, rolls up and packs better, and the purchase goes to someone more deserving of my money.

I remember it being debated but can't remember it we ever settled the '' ocb vs ratchet strap tightness'' question. I can get my doublesteps ocb strap pretty darn tight to the tree. Once tightened down the platform will not move

I picked the ocb over a ratchet strap for my platform.....less movement, less noise, less weight, rolls up and packs better, and the purchase goes to someone more deserving of my money.

I remember it being debated but can't remember it we ever settled the '' ocb vs ratchet strap tightness'' question. I can get my doublesteps ocb strap pretty darn tight to the tree. Once tightened down the platform will not move

Thanks, I guess the only way I’ll know for sure is to try one out.

You might want to think of some kind of strap under platform to help with side pressure, it would make it tank proof.

You might want to think of some kind of strap under platform to help with side pressure, it would make it tank proof.

Then I have to carry two straps. I’ve spent some time on it and put all my wait into on the sides, it doesn’t budge as is.

Here’s some photos of the project.

7a05da0f56b531a2fe7ff18806a796b3.jpg
c45b98854285974aac5993c0b71ae86d.jpg
c1e647c81a6a976aa6bbc21e187ddc43.jpg
87f28de12abeef0621d3ef932fc453e8.jpg
e3c556bce779decc9e7782da15b8fe8b.jpg
4f3c8a8193177ba74018e071ad1a5583.jpg
27a5ae8c74f5a10aba6852378284e5a0.jpg
c8ddc1d1dd8dad8e47a45580f532a8a9.jpg

That is an Ameristep stand and it works well that way. But I found it moved when side pressure was applied so I put my engineering skills to use and modified the post by cutting the bottom bracket off and attaching it and then moving the strap attachments. works like a champ. Of course use at your own risk at ground level and good luck. Here is what i ended up with. Not much to look at but functions well.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_2437.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2437.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 160
  • thumbnail_IMG_2438.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2438.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 162
  • thumbnail_IMG_2439.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2439.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 160
  • thumbnail_IMG_2400.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2400.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 155
My take on ratchet straps is they are heavy have the potential for more noise and more fiddle factor attempting to minimize the noise.
OCB is lighter quieter and gets tight enough for my uses. I’d does require more effort to to cam it over.
Which is better is your call. A good ratchet is much larger and heavier. The small cheap ratchets are still bigger and heavier but only a small amount. I can get the cheap ratchets any tighter than an ocb. I would rather have to grunt and strain for half a second than clickity clack for 30 seconds. Soft barked trees sometimes require a second tightening but that holds true with the ratchet as well. That second tightening is just easier with the ratchet.
For me and my uses it’s ocb all day long.

Looks similar to my DIY platform. It has worked great so except for the fact it weighs a little more that I'd like. I placed the seat in the middle of the two stand offs that are about 12" apart on a center vertical support. I then moved the strap attachment point, (an eye bolt) to the center of the main vertical support just above the seat. It's rock solid as far as standing and side pressure but the ratchet strap is a pain in the rear. That is got to be the single loudest thing I've ever tried to drag into the woods the slightest bump with a strap hook and it twangs like a tuning fork. I have a Ridge Runner on order but it is still a week or so out. I think it comes with an OCB but i'm not sure. I was thinking of making an amsteel daisy chain to try on it.

Love it! I'm doing something very similar right now with an old Menards stand. I've used it twice with just the whole seat/bar assembly (minus platform of course) ratchet strapped. Hate ratchet straps, but its all I have right now. I plan on cutting it down and welding tree teeth to it for some bite. Very comfy, and essentially free!

I can forgo the weight issue for now to have a platform for longer hunts and just use WE steps for shorter ones. Still getting into saddle shape and migrating toward full saddle setup. Need to sell some of the ladders and stands I have to fund my saddle exploits.

Screenshot_2019-10-14-12-28-14.pngScreenshot_2019-10-14-12-28-08.png

You got me to cut up an old steel stand I had laying around. Little different post and relocated the bolt on standoff from the old platform. Cut the post down a bit and threw some brown and John Deere green spray paint on now just have to find the right size strap. Weighs around 5 lbs

Back