• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Trespassing

bigdave1691

Looking for advise, I have land that is posted and fenced off and I also have a county rd that goes through my land. I constantly have road hunters and trespassers on my property. I'm in constant contact with the game warden which can only help when he's in the area. Problem with my state is the game warden covers 2 other counties. I've contacted the county Sheriff which tells me I need to contact the game warden. What pisses me off that I've spent most of my younger life fighting for Uncle Sam to come home buy me a piece of property for me to hunt on and farm then I have to deal with this crap. Today people have no idea what respect means. Just looking for advise before I find myself behind bars and deal with it like a retired jar head would.

Sounds like your area is similar to mine and law enforcement will only provide lip service - all talk and zero action, unless they happen to by some miracle physically be there at the time to catch someone in the act. There is not much you can do but run them off as you see them and take pictures of them and cars, etc, and hope le will followup up. Booby traps should be legal on your own land, but in our pc society, that is frowned upon! I wish you luck, but I have dealt with this for over 35 years with no help.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I mentioned traps before to the game warden, he told me even with my land posted if a trespasser gets hurt he could sue me. I have pictures from trail cams that I have given them. I'm to the point that they may be shallow graves on my land. I've even caught the same people several times.

You need to read up on your local trespassing laws to see if you can prove any of the clauses apply. And make there life miserable. Catch and post there tresspass on all social media. Especially around the area they live in. See this on youtube all the time. Embarrassment goes a long way.

I'm probably not the person to ask about this. A wrist rocket and marbles usually deter repeat offenders. If that doesn't work some gasoline and a match in the front seat of a vehicle will at least remove their mode of transportation. If the cops are not willing to arrest them for trespassing I doubt he'll investigate car fire on the side of the road too much either. When word spreads that a crazy person owns that piece of land trespassing should cease, or become way less frequent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

West Virginia Law indicates that any parcel of land that is posted, fenced, or cultivated for crops is considered private property. If a person proceeds onto such land, then he or she is trespassing by definition of the law. If you fail to have written consent from the landowner, then you are committing a misdemeanor crime. The results may be:
  • First-time offense-$100-$500 fine
  • Second offense-$500-$1000 fine
  • Third offense-$1000-$1500 fine

In all seriousness why can't the cops arrest somebody for trespassing? Why does it have to be the game warden?

I'm probably not the person to ask about this. A wrist rocket and marbles usually deter repeat offenders. If that doesn't work some gasoline and a match in the front seat of a vehicle will at least remove their mode of transportation. If the cops are not willing to arrest them for trespassing I doubt he'll investigate car fire on the side of the road too much either. When word spreads that a crazy person owns that piece of land trespassing should cease, or become way less frequent.

I've made it clear and have spread the word to other land owners in the area that bullets are going to start flying with no questions asked. I'm not one that rarely misses.

You need to read up on your local trespassing laws to see if you can prove any of the clauses apply. And make there life miserable. Catch and post there tresspass on all social media. Especially around the area they live in. See this on youtube all the time. Embarrassment goes a long way.

I think this is your best option that won't land you in jail. I would not only post their pics but also post your story about being a retired Marine and coming home to this. I'm guessing the community will side with a veteran over the trespassers. Don't stop with social media, post it at the local gas stations, bars , etc. Figure out there names and write letters to the editor. Basically, embarrass them until they stop or confront you. If they confront you, then you can defend yourself how you see fit.

In all seriousness why can't the cops arrest somebody for trespassing? Why does it have to be the game warden?

I live in one of them areas were local law enforcement is lazy and tries to pass the buck to the other agencies. Only way I can get the local sheriff department to respond is tell 911 that shots were fired.

It's not just during deer season I have these problems. during the spring and summer if it's not turkey hunters it's the pot heads growing their pot on my land.

I actually patrol properties that's how I gain permission most of the time. First make sure all of your posted signs are the correct distance apart. You need a cheap trail camera that they can see (incase they steal it or break it) then you need a trail cam that sends you images to your cell phone so you know they're there. Point the cell cam at the cheap one mounted higher out of sight. When they tamper with the cheap camera you have it on film. Now you have them for destruction of property.

You want to get them for more than just trespassing. Instead of it getting you angry think of it as another form of hunting.

I actually patrol properties that's how I gain permission most of the time. First make sure all of your posted signs are the correct distance apart. You need a cheap trail camera that they can see (incase they steal it or break it) then you need a trail cam that sends you images to your cell phone so you know they're there. Point the cell cam at the cheap one mounted higher out of sight. When they tamper with the cheap camera you have it on film. Now you have them for destruction of property.

You want to get them for more than just trespassing. Instead of it getting you angry think of it as another form of hunting.

My land is completely fenced and every post is posted or painted with double purple lines showing posted property. But I like your idea with the cameras.

Cameras set up at a height are great, if you can talk to neighbor across the street put another on that side also to point at the "bait" camera as well to help increase odds of facial shot, or further down the road to get plate #'s. Be sure time stamp is set up correctly.

Good luck and thank you for your service.

How many times have you actually found people growing canabis on your land?

Back