• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Trick pin help

BOWHUNTER14

Hey guys quick question.. I am shooting a Mathews Vertix at 70 ibs and a 29.5in draw length.. I am running a Black Gold Accent single pin and I like it but I am wondering about instead of spinning the wheel to my desired range if I could do something similar to a trick pin that's good out to 30 or so yards. So I guess my question is how can I go about figuring that up? Bow shoots right at 300FPS with my hunting arrows

Just set it at 20-25 and see where it hits at 10-30. Play with it until you have a happy medium.

This concept, known as maximum point blank range (MPBR), has been discussed in great depth in the rifle world. Determining your MPBR is a function of:
  • Acceptible margin of error (a.k.a. target size)
  • Ballistic performance (initial velocity + BC)
  • Zero range
You can do the same for archery, but unlike firearms archery equipment (and more specifically compound archery) has been approaching an upper limit of performance. Because of that, you'll find that most setups will maximize their MPBR at around a 25-28 yard zero. I would start there and see what happens.

With a 300fps bow, you probably can set it somewhere like 28-30 yards, and be good from 5-35 for whitetails.

I just ran it on TAP, and at 300fps, you’re +\-2” from 5-30 with a 27 yard zero, and +\-3” from 5-35 with a 30 yard zero.

You’d be 9” and 7” low, Respectively, at 40 yards.

I personally keep it inside 30 for all things whitetail with a single pin unless some really strange circumstances occur. If you’re comfortable to 40, put your pin on his back or just below, and let it fly.

With a 300fps bow, you probably can set it somewhere like 28-30 yards, and be good from 5-35 for whitetails.

I just ran it on TAP, and at 300fps, you’re +\-2” from 5-30 with a 27 yard zero, and +\-3” from 5-35 with a 30 yard zero.

You’d be 9” and 7” low, Respectively, at 40 yards.

I personally keep it inside 30 for all things whitetail with a single pin unless some really strange circumstances occur. If you’re comfortable to 40, put your pin on his back or just below, and let it fly.
Great video @kyler1945. Thank you sir!

Pretty much same as above without the exact measurements

For faster bows we usually start at 29-30yds & for normal speeds 24-25yds

That is usually in the ballpark for my friends that shoot single pin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back