• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Trip suggestions

Unshackled

With work being busy in the fall, I can’t take vacation or be gone when I would like to. My best options are July/August and Jan/Feb. What are some of the best hunting/fishing opportunities in the country during those times?

If those were my options, I’d look at South Texas or Arizona. The rut in S. Texas doesn’t usually kick off until December from what I’ve read. Arizona you could do a javi/deer combo. An Arizona javelina/couse deer hunt in January is definitely on my bucket list.

The rut in south Alabama is on fire in late January/early February. Season there runs through Feb 10 I believe. My dad and I have had great luck on Feb 4-7.

Jan/February I’d probably look at Texas or Alabama since they rut so late. July and August, you could do a bear hunt in Montana or Idaho, a pronghorn hunt could be done in August in Wyoming I believe

Appreciate the responses! South AL probably my best realistic option. Never thought I’d be looking at pronghorn, black bear, coues deer, Ibex but truth is you gotta hunt when you can. Either that or find a different job/give it up all together but I’m not there yet!

Back