• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Trophy Tree Steps Nightmare. Buyers beware!

bioguy

I recently purchased some Trophy Tree Steps from Jeff Sondles of Legacy Outdoor Products. He sells them on the Legacy Outdoor Products website (where he tried to price gouge the shipping price substantially...at the time I tried to purchase them, for 12 steps he was charging >$40 shipping!) and on eBay under the user name: legaprod (where shipping was a much more reasonable $17.90...the price of the large flat rate box that they were shipped in).

To make a long story short, I was not fully satisfied with the performance of the product on thick, flaky barked pine trees that I hunt from, so I contacted Jeff to see if he would work with me toward some sort of refund. In his response he said, "...regarding your request for a refund I am sorry but I am not going to provide a refund. If the steps had malfunctioned then that is a different matter but from the pictures you sent me and your explanation it appears that the steps are working properly. I am not a Cabela's, that can offer refunds on anything they sell."

I will NEVER do business with Mr. Sondles again, nor will I recommend anyone else does business with him either. Based on my experience, Mr. Sondles does not care about customer satisfaction or providing quality customer service...he only cares about getting your money. Period.

If you're going to buy steps like these, I recommend buying the Stepp Ladder (https://www.facebook.com/Stepp-Ladder-2 ... /timeline/). You may pay a little more, but it's a product made right here in the USA, and hopefully they will have a better understanding of the importance of providing quality customer service than Mr. Sondles.

That's enough for me not to consider. How much are the Stepps running?

I'm not sure how I feel on this one honestly. That kind of bark is notorious for being a problem. Its kind of like buying 2wd and needing 4wd. Also I am not really familiar with these steps but you could more than likely sell them.

When you find guys making one off products you're really at their mercy.

I think his response definitely could've been more professional and that likely would change how you feel.

Re:

jlh42581 said:
I'm not sure how I feel on this one honestly. That kind of bark is notorious for being a problem. Its kind of like buying 2wd and needing 4wd. Also I am not really familiar with these steps but you could more than likely sell them.

When you find guys making one off products you're really at their mercy.

I think his response definitely could've been more professional and that likely would change how you feel.

Being a first year saddle user, I was looking for a mobile solution that was fairly light weight. In the past, I have never really given any serious thought to climbing systems because I have either used a climber, or been on private property where I could use screw-in steps. I gave these a try and found out they didn't work for my hunting situation. They were not as mobile as I had hoped, nor did they work well on the pine trees. To be fair, the steps worked great on hardwood trees, but most of the trees where I hunt are pines. I tried the steps on the exact trees I would be hunting, and they did not work to my satisfaction. I had the wrong step and needed another solution, but who's going to "eat" $170 just to try a product? So I contacted Mr. Sondles, told him they weren't working for me, and asked if he would work with me on some sort of refund. I didn't ask for a full refund, nor did I expect one. I expected to at least pay shipping and maybe a restocking fee. Unfortunately, he wasn't willing to work with me at all...you saw his response. So I said, "Alright, if he doesn't want to provide customer good customer service, then I'll do what I can to protect others from doing business with a jerk." Sort of like what you did when you had a bad experience with Climb Paws. Your review of their customer service was enough to make me steer clear of them.

I actually did sell the steps on eBay and took about a $40 loss.

I would have been happy with a response that showed he was willing to work with me in terms of doing a return and issuing some sort of refund. I work hard for my money, and when I dish out $170 for a product and I'm not satisfied with it, I expect to be treated fair and shown a little bit of respect. I didn't get that from Mr. Sondles.

Looks like Stepps are $100 for eight, without bag, tyd. Very, very tempting

Hi All-
I just wanted to comment on your forum about the Trophy Tree Step.
The "Trophy Tree Step" is a complete KNOCK-OFF of the original Stepp Ladder. My name is Andrew Walter, and I am the owner of a company called Wild Edge located in Connecticut. Jim Stepp is the inventor of the one and only, original STEPP LADDER. He and I have been friends for over 15 years, and earlier this year we partnered to bring back the Stepps.

Jim found it to be too much to continue his business, as he was a one-man show and his true passion is in the innovation processes and bringing new product to his fellow hunters. We both share a passion for being in the wild as avid hunters, hence our partnership. We are now manufacturing the Stepps to once again be sold. As you can imagine, this is a timely process and no small production to get these great Stepps out to the consumers, but please feel free to spread the word and check our social media outlets for updates. (http://www.wildedgeinc.com, "Stepp Ladder" on facebook, "wildedgeinc" on Instagram, or email at steppsbywildedge@gmail.com)

Wild Edge, Inc. is a Veteran-owned and operated business that will be the only company that has permission and sole-ownership of the original and ultimate climbing aid, STEPP LADDER. If you buy anything else, you're buying a knock-off.

Looking forward to getting the ORIGINAL STEPP LADDER into your hands soon! We will have our online store up and running in a few short weeks with sets of 8,10,and 12 Stepp Ladder packages with carry bags!!! Our full commercial will be out ver soon as well!! We can't wait to get our products in your hands!!

Please support Veteran owned and operated business,
Andrew

SteppsbyWildEdgeInc said:
Hi All-
I just wanted to comment on your forum about the Trophy Tree Step.
The "Trophy Tree Step" is a complete KNOCK-OFF of the original Stepp Ladder. My name is Andrew Walter, and I am the owner of a company called Wild Edge located in Connecticut. Jim Stepp is the inventor of the one and only, original STEPP LADDER. He and I have been friends for over 15 years, and earlier this year we partnered to bring back the Stepps.

Jim found it to be too much to continue his business, as he was a one-man show and his true passion is in the innovation processes and bringing new product to his fellow hunters. We both share a passion for being in the wild as avid hunters, hence our partnership. We are now manufacturing the Stepps to once again be sold. As you can imagine, this is a timely process and no small production to get these great Stepps out to the consumers, but please feel free to spread the word and check our social media outlets for updates. (http://www.wildedgeinc.com, "Stepp Ladder" on facebook, "wildedgeinc" on Instagram, or email at steppsbywildedge@gmail.com)

Wild Edge, Inc. is a Veteran-owned and operated business that will be the only company that has permission and sole-ownership of the original and ultimate climbing aid, STEPP LADDER. If you buy anything else, you're buying a knock-off.

Looking forward to getting the ORIGINAL STEPP LADDER into your hands soon! We will have our online store up and running in a few short weeks with sets of 8,10,and 12 Stepp Ladder packages with carry bags!!! Our full commercial will be out ver soon as well!! We can't wait to get our products in your hands!!

Please support Veteran owned and operated business,
Andrew

Thanks for the info Andrew! keep us updated on the process!

Andrew, maybe you guys could solve the platform issue that so many of us Saddlers run into???

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

How are we going to order new stepp ladder steps? It's still unavailable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prill87 said:

He said the online store should be up in a few weeks :cool:

redsquirrel said:
Prill87 said:

Glad I took the time to read his entire post.
Thanks Red I missed that.

Prill87 said:
redsquirrel said:
Prill87 said:

Glad I took the time to read his entire post.
Thanks Red I missed that.

np!

Hey All,

I will be posting pictures and videos to my website shortly on tips and advantages of using the Stepp Ladder for Saddle hunters and tree stand hunters. I personally use the Stepp Ladder for both and they work amazing, especially for saddles because you can run the Stepps around the tree at your feet for easy maneuverability without looking down at your feet trying to find a foot hold.

We will be releasing the first inventory of new Stepp Ladders by Wild Edge Inc. very shortly!!

Andrew

Andrew, please keep us posted. I am getting ready to finish up my red hunting gear and am in need of some steps. ;)

We will be releasing the first inventory of new Stepp Ladders by Wild Edge Inc. very shortly!!

Andrew

Hurry... it's easier for us to spend now than when the season hits. Gotta spread out the purchases for the wives...

Maustypsu said:

Andrew

Hurry... it's easier for us to spend now than when the season hits. Gotta spread out the purchases for the wives...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back