• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Trophyline saddle modifications?

Buckhorn74

I've had one of the early trophyline leather saddles for awhile now. The one with a built-in linesman belt and no shoulder straps. I used it for 2 or 3 years when I first got it but haven't used it in awhile now. I wasn't crazy over the tree tether or the linesman belt. I also had to tighten the waist adjustment all the way up to keep it from fallen down while walking to the stand. However I did pull it out the other day and try it with a rope tether and prusik and liked that alot better. I'm planning to make a detachable linesman rope for it. I know this thing is probably a dinosaur but I was wandering if anybody has made any modifications to one of these things to make it better

Yes. I've hunted out of a similar Trophyline since 2009ish. You have already mentioned the things that need some love. The rope tether and upgraded lineman belt are really the pieces you need to change IMO. You should add a Ropeman 1 ascender to your lineman belt. It makes a world of difference.

Also, go to the hardware store and buy a tool belt harness that goes over your shoulders like suspenders. Night and day walking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I've seen the suspender system you mentioned on YouTube and liked it. I have already bought a ropeman 1 for my tether. I should pick up another one for my linesman belt. My saddle doesn't have d loops to hook a linesman to. I was thinking about making some loops with rope and maybe sliding some rubber tubing over them for rigidity. Also I was wondering if you are using the original bridge or a different one.

I made lineman loops out of the attached lineman belt and a speedy stitcher sewing awl. I'll see if I can find pics for you.

I use the bridge that came with it and a large pear shaped locking carabiner. The large carabiner allows the stock bridge webbing to slide easily.

I made suspenders out some 8mm rope. Very light, cheap, packable .

Thanks for the great advice. That speedy sticher looks like a good tool to have around.

I did something similar, I made lineman loops out of the original lineman belt material and brought it to a local sling manufacturing company in the area and had them sew it up professionally with an industrial sewing machine.

I also use a rope and prussic for my tether and use a lineman rope with a mircocender for quick one handed adjustment

Back