• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

TRYING TO DECIDE IF SADDLE FOR ME- LOOKING FOR ULTIMATE PORTABLE

eightwgt

Guys- Hello- Im a 54 year old newbie.... Im a trad bow hunter... will be hunting on public this year in Wisconsin and looking for the ultimate portable hunting system which led me to this forum. I have never tried a saddle- but it seems so logical.... BUT-Im worried about the leg squeeze, blood flow thing as Im skinny (160-5'-10) and dont wanna invest in bunch stuff only to sell or discover I have. I have used Lone Wolf stand for years, ans thier sticks.... Im a fan but not for porting in setting up QUIETLY.... the LW system isnt user friendly IMHO, I like it but wanted better.... I want to be able to get in ANY tree QUICK, quiet, and without sweating my brains out fighting stuff...... Im open to buy - make - you name it, Im a good DIY guy myself..... BTW- I reside in Jax FL

Objectively hang-and-hunt stands + sticks can't really compete with a saddle + other climbing method (even sticks) for portability. Many guys achieving sub-15lb setups that fit into a 1800 cu. in. daypack with some of the more advanced climbing methods.

Even if you just swapped out your LW stand for a saddle and platform/steps and kept the sticks you would be shaving 8-10+ lbs and have a much lower carrying profile for your entire setup.

That being said some of the other things are subjective: user friendly, comfort, etc. I think generally though you will find that the saddle systems are very comfortable and aren't any more difficult to setup than your LW stand + sticks. And I've never heard of anyone having issue with blood flow to lower extremities in a saddle.

Welcome to the forum. Just my two cents, I’m 51 and 5’10 and 160 also. I use a DIY Sit-Drag. I’m mostly a leaner in the saddle, but I do switch it up with some stints of sitting. I have no butt at all, but I’ve not had any trouble with hip pinch or leg squeeze. To me I find it easier to be in the saddle all day, versus climbers or loc-ons. I started with a saddle because the labor and sweating that I experienced every single time I used a climber. With the saddle I can get into hunting position without drenching myself even on hot days. And I am definitely a lot quieter getting in and out.

Welcome. I shoot trad also.
I've had no problems adjusting to saddle hunting, but saddles are so individual. Seems like each and every one of us do things a little different than the next guy. Tiny little changes can make a big difference in comfort.
Your options for climbing on public land are not any different than you already have with conventional stands, but wow, there are so many creative guys on this site that have come up with climbing methods that you may have never dreamed of. Some are ingenious, and some are out of the box to say the least.
One good thing about this gear. As of right now, the resale market is very strong. You shouldn't have much trouble selling anything that doesn't work out well for you.
And saddles are the bomb for hanging conventional stands. Hang just one stand while tethered and you will toss your old harness/lineman's belt in the trash.

Since you already have the LW sticks, the simplest and cheapest way to start for you is to make a DIY fleece saddle for under $10 and get a $20-30 rock climbing harness. You will experience no squeeze, just comfort with the fleece and it will give you a chance to see if you like the hunting from a saddle. If you like it's you can jump in with more gear, or may decide you like it as is.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

inexpensive RCH + DIY fleece saddle + a bit of tubular webbing + a few carabiners and you are in it to try out for pretty darn cheap. From there you can spend more on convenience tchotchkes if you find it’s for you.

Yesterday was my first day of hunting from the saddle. I decided to try it for reasons similar to you: portability, any tree any time, and crazy low profile.

Portability and Low Profile - my entire setup fits nicely into a tenzing tx17 pack. I pack in such a way that the first in is the first out at the tree. Coming from a Summit climber, this was incredible. I didn’t have to deal with hanging up in brush and undergrowth. Plus it was lighter.

Any Tree/Any Time - I practiced all summer and had no issues getting quietly into my tree in the morning. I fought a bit with my afternoon tree, and that was one that I literally walked upon and climbed. It was limbed which caused me some problems, but mostly just because all my practice was in straight or forked trees in my yard.

With those boxes checked in spades, I’ll address the comfort factor for me. Having plenty of practice, I knew what it felt like, and it was comfortable but my body would take some getting used to it. However, like training for a marathon, you never actually run the full distance until race day; ’d never hung more than 30 min until yesterday when I put in 6+ hours. It was comfortable enough, light pinching around my hips that I attribute to just getting used to it. But I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t hurting this morning. I’d also be lying if I told you I wouldn’t be back in it on my next hunt.

Bottom line, for a public land hunter, this thing is a game changer.

What is a fleece saddle ?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Everything you need is right here in this link below. Read it all, it’s GOLD!

Everything you need is right here in this link below. Read it all, it’s GOLD!

GREAT READ THANKS- Im leaning towards this- I just made a 'quickie' with a towel and paracord... HOWEVER... man I held my longbow... dang it seems hard to shoot many angles ????

Welcome. I shoot trad also.
I've had no problems adjusting to saddle hunting, but saddles are so individual. Seems like each and every one of us do things a little different than the next guy. Tiny little changes can make a big difference in comfort.
Your options for climbing on public land are not any different than you already have with conventional stands, but wow, there are so many creative guys on this site that have come up with climbing methods that you may have never dreamed of. Some are ingenious, and some are out of the box to say the least.
One good thing about this gear. As of right now, the resale market is very strong. You shouldn't have much trouble selling anything that doesn't work out well for you.
And saddles are the bomb for hanging conventional stands. Hang just one stand while tethered and you will toss your old harness/lineman's belt in the trash.
Why would you put up a saddle, AND a stand ? Confused...

Yesterday was my first day of hunting from the saddle. I decided to try it for reasons similar to you: portability, any tree any time, and crazy low profile.

Portability and Low Profile - my entire setup fits nicely into a tenzing tx17 pack. I pack in such a way that the first in is the first out at the tree. Coming from a Summit climber, this was incredible. I didn’t have to deal with hanging up in brush and undergrowth. Plus it was lighter.

Any Tree/Any Time - I practiced all summer and had no issues getting quietly into my tree in the morning. I fought a bit with my afternoon tree, and that was one that I literally walked upon and climbed. It was limbed which caused me some problems, but mostly just because all my practice was in straight or forked trees in my yard.

With those boxes checked in spades, I’ll address the comfort factor for me. Having plenty of practice, I knew what it felt like, and it was comfortable but my body would take some getting used to it. However, like training for a marathon, you never actually run the full distance until race day; ’d never hung more than 30 min until yesterday when I put in 6+ hours. It was comfortable enough, light pinching around my hips that I attribute to just getting used to it. But I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t hurting this morning. I’d also be lying if I told you I wouldn’t be back in it on my next hunt.

Bottom line, for a public land hunter, this thing is a game changer.
Why were you hurting ?

GREAT READ THANKS- Im leaning towards this- I just made a 'quickie' with a towel and paracord... HOWEVER... man I held my longbow... dang it seems hard to shoot many angles ????
A small platform like a predator makes life easier. I feel like I have way more opportunities, but I'm using a compound.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OK GUYS- So... I just made a quickie towel and paracord sling, hung it from my chinup bar (doorframe) I can see why guys like it, but man is it different.... Im still worried about shooting... I guess I need to get out in a tree and try this

Why would you put up a saddle, AND a stand ? Confused...
Several stands are pre sets. Most are diy mini stands that are weather durable...can be set and left in place for months.
I also occasionally hunt out of conventional hang on stands, but I still use a saddle to hang AND HUNT from those, too.
So many benefits to saddles.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OK GUYS- So... I just made a quickie towel and paracord sling, hung it from my chinup bar (doorframe) I can see why guys like it, but man is it different.... Im still worried about shooting... I guess I need to get out in a tree and try this
Im assuming the angle of your tether going up to the chin up bar will be much different than with a tree.
I think a lot of trad shooters, including me, prefer a fairly low tether and a short bridge.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Why were you hurting ?

My guess would be 6 hours with small muscles supporting weight they aren’t used to.
Same as a day in the gym after a few weeks off.

As for the shot angles, I agree with the lower tether in height. It opens up a lot more shot angles. Impacted to an overhead tie in...

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

Back