• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Turkey Feather Fletchings

gcr0003

SH Member
I’ve had the itch to make some turkey feather fletchings ever since I killed my first Turkey a few years back. I was talking to a saddlehunter who is a bad influence and he got me interested again. Unfortunately the feathers disappeared in the move, but I think I know where to get some more. This seems like the most straight forward tutorial. What if anything do you do different?

Once you get them processed down to the size you want How are you shaping your fletchings? The wire burner is nice but I’m not looking to spend the money right now. I’m thinking cutting jig/templet or maybe a little chopper? What template work well? Maybe I could 3d print templates since I have a circular cutter and cutting board already. What has been your experience?

@BTaylor @JSEXTON23 I thought i remembered y’all make your own? @Allegheny Tom have you fooled with Turkey feathers at all?

Last edited:
What wing do you need? If you can use right wings, I can send you some feathers. I have always used a feather burner but I recently got a cutting pad and roller cutter to try that method as well. Havent messed with making a template yet. Was planning to just cut out a pattern on a feather with scissors and then trace that on some cardboard. If you 3d print one, be sure and post pics.

I grind and cut turkey and goose feathers. I have a grinder I bought years ago from the guy that owned Two Tracks. Big help with the thick turkey feathers.
I would split them with a razor knife, grind them on the machine as good as possible, chop them on a chopper, then place them in a straight fletching clamp to tidy up the quill base.

I grind using a straight clamp and an oscillating drum sander or belt sander.

That's exactly the idea behind the grinder I have. The hinged clamp is long enough for a full size feather and slides back and forth on a mounted roller guide. A reversible motor runs a 1" sanding belt.

As a side note, mask up. Feather dust will destroy your lungs.

What wing do you need? If you can use right wings, I can send you some feathers. I have always used a feather burner but I recently got a cutting pad and roller cutter to try that method as well. Havent messed with making a template yet. Was planning to just cut out a pattern on a feather with scissors and then trace that on some cardboard. If you 3d print one, be sure and post pics.
I bought left wings after trying the whole helical thing out but I’m back to straight fletchings again. I’ll shoot you a PM about the right wings.

I bought left wings after trying the whole helical thing out but I’m back to straight fletchings again. I’ll shoot you a PM about the right wings.
Am I remembering right you are shooting single bevels? If so that will determine which wing you need.

Try straight/offset. Full helical can be difficult. I found that I can get all I want by offsetting a straight clamp.

Am I remembering right you are shooting single bevels? If so that will determine which wing you need.
Typically it would be but I don’t care about it that much because I haven’t seen a discernible difference shooting left wing w/ right bevel or right wing with left bevel when shooting a straight clamp feather.

If you are going to fletch helical or offset as @kbetts mentioned, I would stick to matching wing and bevel for single bevel heads. If you are tuned well, at close ranges it may not be real noticeable but pretty sure it would affect spin rate. I can send left too but I shoot left so I am stingier with those lol. Just shoot me a note with what you need and your mailing address.

I shoot mostly right wing. I am also right handed. When I've fletched using left wing, I can get the feather to just touch my nose. Works great as another reference point. I still use rt wing cause the few single bevel heads I have are rights.

Thought you guys may want to see the grinding tool. We have conservation goose seasons here and I used to collect the wings. This is one of the first "trad" items I bought. Years later I found a couple bulk rolls of 1" sanding belt at a yard sale.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230622-135657.png
    Screenshot_20230622-135657.png
    708 KB · Views: 19
Typically it would be but I don’t care about it that much because I haven’t seen a discernible difference shooting left wing w/ right bevel or right wing with left bevel when shooting a straight clamp feather.
I haven't noticed much difference in flight when I use a straight fletch as well. I have noticed a left wing feather flys better off my shelf with less paradox, at least on my bows. ( I shoot right handed).
I matched up all my arrows with left wing bevels and left wing feathers. I spent a lot of time bare shaft tuning prior to fletching. My arrows fly like a dart.
My arrows should never be the blame for an errant shot... in my case only operator error.

I haven't noticed much difference in flight when I use a straight fletch as well. I have noticed a left wing feather flys better off my shelf with less paradox, at least on my bows. ( I shoot right handed).
I matched up all my arrows with left wing bevels and left wing feathers. I spent a lot of time bare shaft tuning prior to fletching. My arrows fly like a dart.
My arrows should never be the blame for an errant shot... in my case only operator error.
I don’t know why but I like the dart flight more than the spinning

Ok fair enough. I currently prefer straight shooting arrows with minimal spin.
I hear yah. I am currently using 2 3" trad vanes less spin but somehow fly great. never would have figured they would.
Saw the Omnivor on a you tube video with the two feathers. little crazy....

Back