• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Turkey mouth call suggestions?

Mschmeiske

SH Member
I don’t have much experience turkey hunting, but it’s something I’ve done a couple times and I really want to learn to call with a mouth call. I was curious what everyone recommends? I know there’s different reeds... 2...3...etc. and lots of brands. What should a newbie start with?

The fewer reeds the easier to work for a newbie. Go check your local Academy to see if they have any 2019 calls on clearance. BTW all mouth calls are different from user to user. Best starting out try to get two or three in a bundle and figure out which ones you like.

There about 60 gazillion calling videos on YouTube. Try to find some that speak about technique and not product reviews. In the woods less is more. If you get one to answer stop calling. He knows where you are and will be more inclined to come to you if you shut it down. I will wait for at least an hour on one that called back. Especially if I have a hen decoy out.

There is a local guy who makes awesome and VERY affordable calls that I buy from each year. Pecker Wrecker calls. He is on FaceBook and YouTube. If you reach out to him he can probably hook you up with a great deal on a startup set. He can do anything you ask for and right on the spot when he is at shows. Great dude!!

Best of luck!

I would not consider myself a turkey hunting expert by any means, and I have figured out a lot of things that don't work... and a few things that do work. My experience has been that mouth calls are inexpensive enough that you can try a whole bunch of them and start to figure out what you like and what works for your mouth. Also, if you can, go hang out near a flock in the off season and see if you can get close enough to hear the birds, especially a group of hens. IMHO, there is absolutely no video, podcast, CD, or any other substitute that will teach you how the birds REALLY sound like being out with the birds, hearing how loud or quiet they are, how the sound travels in the outdoors, the cadence, and the body language of the birds as it corresponds to to the type of sound they are making.

All great advice. Buy a cheap combo pack that has single and double reeds. Triple reed is way to tight to learn on. The single reed is easiest because it requires less pressure from your tongue. SLIGHTLY trim the edges if they are folding up at your teeth and not lying flat on your palate. I bought a turkey calling CD over 25 years ago and drove around listening to it and practicing nonstop, until I started to sound like them. I also have a film canister of mouth wash in my truck and dip the callers in before/after every use. Sucked getting a sore throat every turkey season until I figured out why.

And less is more with calling. 99% of your calling should be done in your car or the house. The other 1% in the woods.

Sent from up in a tree

Back