• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Turkey saddle

Madgrad02

SH Member
First and foremost... this is for ground use only, so please don't bother with posts of how unsafe this could be at height.
Long story short, as my hunting equipment progresses and improves, I tend to hoard old stuff, cause you never know I guess. I always heard how beneficial a saddle could be for turkey hunting, so now that bow hunting is officially over, the off season tinkering begins. I had an old summit climber seat sitting around and it got me thinking...
Using some of the sewn (non-rated) daisy chains from DanO for a girth hitched tree tether and one for and "adjustable" bridge. Had some old steel carabiners from an old safety harnesses/linesman belt (those will get replaced... amazing how heavy they are compared to good climbing equipment). Thinking I could attach a connection to my turkey vest and use that as a seat back (has an internal frame - cabelas turkey tat'r kickstand vest) as opposed to the floppy summit seat back. Just playing around while the kids napped. Needs a little tweaking, but think it's got potential and will keep me off the wet spring ground here during spring wisco turkey season.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200201-130214_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200201-130214_Gallery.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 119
  • Screenshot_20200201-130225_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200201-130225_Gallery.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 119
Don't see why that wouldn't work great. Using the tree to block the turkey from seeing you just makes sense.

It will work! That is the first saddle I made and used with an rch at height too.

I was surprised how sturdy it was... and comfy. Makes me really want a jx3 for gun hunting. I may need to look into a rch and swap out bridge tether for something rated

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200201-152237_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200201-152237_Gallery.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 41
Ive been thinking about a sit drag for turkeys this spring. May get one to play with. I like the your design with the seat pads for comfort, but I think a lighter “ball it up in a pocket” design could be tossed in my vest, and used or not; depending on the situation/terrain.

I like it, it would be nice to be a little higher off the ground to see 'em coming.

Yeah... sitdrag was the idea behind it. Actually doesn't pack up too bad in vest pouch. For what I had laying around in the unused hoarding pile, was a fun weekend project while the kids let daddy play.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200201-185411_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200201-185411_Gallery.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 31
Back