• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Turkeys and Saddles

MN_Bowhunter4

I searched for similar threads and didn’t turn much up. If it’s already been discussed please feel free to point me there!

I haven’t hunted turkeys in several decades. I’m thinking about giving it another shot this spring, with archery gear. Our seasons are structured so that guns are one week long (choice if I think 6 weeks, all including weekend) while archery runs the duration. My thinking is that’ll allow more opportunities to actually get out.

Has anyone used their saddle for hunting turkeys? If so, at ground level or do you climb up a bit? I’m thinking this will allow me to try out some of my adjustments made after deer season and keep my drawing concealed. Curious others experience and opinions!

If it was legal to use an electronic caller here I'd be open to the idea. But stuck with hand/mouth calls I like to stick close to my dekes hidden behind a ghostblind.

Another issue is most of my successful turkey hunts occur on cut corn fields, not usually with climbable trees anywhere close.

Every time I've tried hunting turkeys from the saddle I get picked off. I feel their eyesight is too good or maybe they're good at detecting movement. Latest time I saw movement out of the corner of my eye and turned my head maybe 15 degrees to see a flock of about 20 turks with two looking right at me. And I hadn't moved in a long while. Then one by one they turn and look at me and start giving me the stink eye until the entire flock is like nope, ain't going over there and they scooted off. Or maybe it's just when I'm hunting them. Cuz when I'm not, and it's not turkey season, they walk right under my damn tree. At any rate, it's back to earth for me for next season.

A jx 3 attached to a big tree for cover sitting 2 feet off the ground works for me
A tree as wide as your shoulders with a bit of cover in front of you
Almost all my turkeys were killed this way. I ain’t no expert but I have killed most that way.

Setup at the edge of a field

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I didn't really start whopping the turkeys out of a tree until I started using a saddle. If theres a bunch they'll probably still spot you but just a few and you got a chance. Ive done better out of the bigger trees for the birds.

These have been fall birds. I prefer to stay mobile from the ground for spring birds.

Back