• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Turning a lineman's into a flipline...

Red Beard

SH Member
This question goes along with my post regarding the possibility of plastidipping WE steps...

Do yall have any safety related concerns regarding plastidipping a good section of your standard rope lineman's belt? Seems to me that by adding rigidity to the rope, you'd essentially create a flipline on the cheap... Obviously you couldn't do the whole thing because your prusik (or ropeman) wouldn't slide correctly. Thoughts?

Sorry, had plastidip on my mind this morning. ;-)

I use the same rope for both my tether and lineman’s and climb with spurs and have never seen the need for a true “flip” line. Regular climbing rope works just fine for me and I can flip it up no problem. I don’t think I’d put plastidip on a rope personally.

Tethrd-Ginger Ninja/Fire Crotch Fiddler

I have to agree with flingin, not really necessary from my experience. Flip lines are great for super big trees, where you need added rigidity to roll the line up the back side of the tree. I would think also that the smooth surface the dip would create would make it more liable to slip on the back side if the bark was wet, or on smooth barked trees. IMO

If you were looking to stiffen the rope, what about shrink tubing? Should add some rigidity without having to worry what it'd do to the rope itself.

I haven’t used this method myself, I have done a “little” research on plastidip... my concern would be how well the dip would hold up against the rough usage against a tree. I too agree with flingin, static climbing rope it pretty stiff and makes it easy to maneuver. I have used a “tether” as a lineman’s belt and definitely prefer the static rope when talkin the “lineman’s” belt.

Storage would be harder with a stiffer rope. You could slip vinyl tubing over the lines man. I would not want to mess with any chemical reactions of plastidip. Or the heat of shrink tube on my linesmans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back