• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Two tether climbing-who's doing it?

There's several other threads about it on here but this is my #2 climbing method behind SRT. I find it simple to do by inch worming up a tree. In my opinion, I think alot of the issues comes from people trying to move too high per evolution.

There's several other threads about it on here but this is my #2 climbing method behind SRT. I find it simple to do by inch worming up a tree. In my opinion, I think alot of the issues comes from people trying to move too high per evolution.
Are you doing the leg loop? I’m curious what kind of set up you like.

Here's my 2TC setup. I use my tether, linemans belt for the foot loop and an amsteel continuous loop for the actual foot loop. I don't use a thigh strap or anything else. This way is simple, lightweight and multi-purpose. Admittedly, I've had to use this setup a few times while testing some new SRT technique to "rescue" myself.
20210624_141649.jpg
20210624_141703.jpg

Haven't sold mine either. Here's how I see the scenarios playing out.

Private land.
On private land where I can scout and do presets, I'll SRT almost 100% of the time with 2TC the remainder as I don't see any particular value with sticks in these cases.

Public land.
On public land, my SRT stuff would stay home and I'd go in with sticks and 2TC. Having not scouted the area, I don't know what I'll find and don't want to try and find a suitable 2TC tree. In these cases, I'd probably start with sticks then switch over to 2TC to get to the final height once passing whatever lower limbs prevented me from doing an easy 2TC from the ground.

I’m going to give 2TC a try this season, a long with a couple other climbing methods. It seems safe and minimalistic.

What type of tether is preferred? A stiffer and thicker (that’s what she said) rope, something like HTP, or have folks found it doesn’t really matter?

I’m going to give 2TC a try this season, a long with a couple other climbing methods. It seems safe and minimalistic.

What type of tether is preferred? A stiffer and thicker (that’s what she said) rope, something like HTP, or have folks found it doesn’t really matter?
Ford vs. Chevy

Personally, I like 8mm tethers as they pack smaller and by being less stiff (there's a pill for that), I find they don't slide down the trunk as easily when unweighted. I also prefer a sewn eye on my tethers for the same reason but as I said, this is a Ford vs. Chevy argument.

Reactions: STL
I keep meaning to try it again with a thigh loop, but so far haven't.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Ford vs. Chevy

Personally, I like 8mm tethers as they pack smaller and by being less stiff (there's a pill for that), I find they don't slide down the trunk as easily when unweighted. I also prefer a sewn eye on my tethers for the same reason but as I said, this is a Ford vs. Chevy argument.

Right on. Makes sense. As an aside, do you have a preference on diameter and stiffness for when you srt or is it the same deal as your tethers?

Right on. Makes sense. As an aside, do you have a preference on diameter and stiffness for when you srt or is it the same deal as your tethers?
Tethers and climbing rope are (2) separate things.

If I had no other considerations except for climbing and rappelling, I'd use a static 11mm rope without question as the thicker diameter and stiffness (gigiddy) are all advantages. However, they are bulky, heavy and wouldn't carry that anywhere unless climbing/rappelling was all I was doing.

On the opposite end is 8mm rope. I have 50' of Resc Tech and it's an awesome rope to hunt from and carry due to it's diameter, weight, packability and softness. However, the softness requires me to modify how I climb (not a deal breaker) and have to be more cautious how I rappel. Neither is a deal breaker and would be my go-to if I were hiking for miles and/or planned on moving around alot on a given hunt.

My primary SRT rope is 40' of 9mm C-IV. The 1mm difference and stiffer rope is noticeable. Using this, I don't have to modify my climbing style like I do the Resc Tech yet packs about the same in size and weight as 50' of Resc Tech. It's also much easier to climb and holds better for my rappel style. Essentially, I'm far more confident climbing/rappelling in in the dark as opposed to the Resc Tech.

In short...
Rappelling only:
Resc Tech without question. I would have to change my rappel style but that's a small price for the overall gains.

Climbing/rappelling only (think recreational climbing):
11mm rope as I wouldn't be concerned with carrying or hunting and the enjoyment comes from the climb and rappel.

Climbing/hunting/rappelling:
A stiff 9mm like the C-IV seems like a good middle ground. It overcomes the 8mm shortcomings and 11mm handicaps.

Side note:
If you've never climbed/rappelled before, I'd recommend 10mm HTP and practice in your yard. You may find the 10mm is good enough and you've saved about 50% the cost of something like C-IV or Resc Tech. If you find that you like it but want the weight/packability savings, then buy the more expensive rope. If you decide that climbing/rappelling isn't for you, you're not out as much comparatively speaking.

Tethers and climbing rope are (2) separate things.

If I had no other considerations except for climbing and rappelling, I'd use a static 11mm rope without question as the thicker diameter and stiffness (gigiddy) are all advantages. However, they are bulky, heavy and wouldn't carry that anywhere unless climbing/rappelling was all I was doing.

On the opposite end is 8mm rope. I have 50' of Resc Tech and it's an awesome rope to hunt from and carry due to it's diameter, weight, packability and softness. However, the softness requires me to modify how I climb (not a deal breaker) and have to be more cautious how I rappel. Neither is a deal breaker and would be my go-to if I were hiking for miles and/or planned on moving around alot on a given hunt.

My primary SRT rope is 40' of 9mm C-IV. The 1mm difference and stiffer rope is noticeable. Using this, I don't have to modify my climbing style like I do the Resc Tech yet packs about the same in size and weight as 50' of Resc Tech. It's also much easier to climb and holds better for my rappel style. Essentially, I'm far more confident climbing/rappelling in in the dark as opposed to the Resc Tech.

In short...
Rappelling only:
Resc Tech without question. I would have to change my rappel style but that's a small price for the overall gains.

Climbing/rappelling only (think recreational climbing):
11mm rope as I wouldn't be concerned with carrying or hunting and the enjoyment comes from the climb and rappel.

Climbing/hunting/rappelling:
A stiff 9mm like the C-IV seems like a good middle ground. It overcomes the 8mm shortcomings and 11mm handicaps.

Side note:
If you've never climbed/rappelled before, I'd recommend 10mm HTP and practice in your yard. You may find the 10mm is good enough and you've saved about 50% the cost of something like C-IV or Resc Tech. If you find that you like it but want the weight/packability savings, then buy the more expensive rope. If you decide that climbing/rappelling isn't for you, you're not out as much comparatively speaking.

I’d like to have a couple climbing methods in the arsenal for different situations, but multi use or overlapping gear to the extent it works well. This is awesome feedback. Thanks man, I appreciate it.

Back