• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Two way Radio's: Thoughts and Opinions?

ADKMtnTrapper

Good Morning!

So I have been using GMRS store brand radios for years to talk with my hunting crew while doing drives or staying in touch with eachother while in the stands and such. I recently upgraded to a dual band gmrs/vhf radio by cobra:
https://www.cobra.com/sites/default/files/features/MRHH450_CAMO_SPEC.pdf

It runs about $140 for one but so far seems to be well worth the money. I have yet to use it while hunting but the battery life is great and i have been able to reach out about 3-4 miles which is more then enough for my needs. I cant wait to test it out in the big hills of the Adirondacks this year to see how that effects it.

The main reasons i switched was because the old GMRS radios that you buy at local sporting goods store just burn through batteries and the range is terrible especially when moving through the mountains.

So what are your thoughts and experience with using these types of radios?

I also am thinking of using this type of mic. system:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00914PTAC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A60DOJRIL84TS

Its discrete and can be kept close to your body in order to avoid it being caught on the brush when moving through the woods.

I just wanted to start an open discussion about radios to see what other peoples set up are and how widely used they are.

Haven't used radios for years since cell phones and texting became so popular but we used to use them all the time when I was a kid. We used a mic similar to the one you linked to check in while on all day stands. I've considered getting another set though since some of the spots I'm in have such shoddy cell service.

Yeah our camp doesnt have any cell coverage plus its nice having immeddiate communication with people when we need it.

Hey ADK I just had this discussion with a friend of mine who lives, hunts, and does BTI in the Morehouse area of New York and they were having a similiar problem with the GMRS radio situation. Ever since I had an all day hunt blown by a radio, guy called me right at prime time and spooked a buck I was waiting to step out of heavy cover, I have dispised them! I just had too many issues of people hitting the button by mistake or other hunters stepping in or on our conversations and since cell phones much prefer texting to talking.

Now after spending a lot of time in the Adirondacks I realize in most places that a cell phone is pretty much useless to do what you'd like to do but there is another alternative which I believe is even better than a radio and that is the Delorme InReach. Not only can you text to another InReach user but you can send your coordinates and your family can send you messages from the computer at home. It also doubles as a safety device since you can contact help if you ever have an emergency or someone hunting with you. It can work in conjunction with your cell phone or as a stand alone device but I think for that area it is well worth checking out at. http://www.delorme.com

If I lived up in that area I would definitely have it to give my family and friends piece of mind but also to be able to easily stay in contact with them while I was in the woods. It has many other great features that might appeal to you as well for hunting and trapping and Delorme is a great company with knowledgable people who also hunt and fish.

Roger

ADK the initial cost might be expensive but I feel the functionality and peace of mind it provides would be well worth it in the area you hunt. As mentioned in the previous thread I tried radios but found them more problematic than convenient and it seemed like people tried to contact me at the worst time. We even tried the whole two clicks if you could talk or one if you couldn't but sometimes would hit the button slipping it back into you pack or pocket by mistake and they would start talking and scare anything close by! Also the mic and headset have tangled in bowstrings, bingo straps, and range finder tethers so for some they have had issues with them as well.

While I find cellphones and texting easier and more convenient if you forget to turn your sounds off or as in a situation that happened to me my buddy called me, not knowing I was hunting on his way home from work, again at prime time last thirty minutes of light, and the cellphone was touching the side rail of the stand and the vibration alerted the deer standing ten yards away! One minute I was covered in deer the next I was looking at a bunch of tails and my heart sunk when one of them had a nice rack and had been hanging back in the brush letting the does and small bucks pass first. Needless to say I wasn't a happy camper! Once in a great while I still forget to silence the ringer and it scares the hell out of you when it goes off, but that being said I still have way fewer problems with texting than radios, I also never hear those dreaded words, "Can you repeat that!"

Whatever you decide to use I hope you have a great season and stay safe out there!

Roger

You know, if you're out doing presets just run some cups and string.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fawnzy said:
You know, if you're out doing presets just run some cups and string.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very insightful fawnzy :lol:

Styk - Its funny you mention all those issues i have had as well with radios! It makes for some unneeded frustrations. I just dont like the monthly payment ordeal on top of the $350 for the unit. If i had the money that would be my top choice but for now ill stick to my radio set up.

Fawnzy - your killin me! I can only picture a bunch of strings and cans running through the woods!

You guys will be out hunting before me. I need the entertainment

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back