• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

TX5 Opinions

SETXsportsman6

Just curious as to who all here has had the opportunity to try out a TX5 Stretch or Xpand, and what y'all's thoughts were? Personally I love mine. It works great for what I want out of a saddle. I'd love to see what others experiences were as well.

Just curious as to who all here has had the opportunity to try out a TX5 Stretch or Xpand, and what y'all's thoughts were? Personally I love mine. It works great for what I want out of a saddle. I'd love to see what others experiences were as well.

It is a great saddle IMO. Comfortable and some unique features. It is well built but not super available as an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think it's one of the best saddles out there, if not THE best at the current moment. Matthew's craftsmanship and attention to detail is definitely second to none, and I think his newest design is a home run.

Can you post a pic - curious never seen one.
This one is mine
fa8c7be3c936f05943f1c0fd9769c850.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

How did you get it in first lite fusion? I didn’t see that option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have to provide the material and he can sew it in as an overlayer. It adds weight to it, and he is very selective on what parts of the clothing that he pulls material from. Some areas are more elastic than others and he wants to be sure the overlay material doesn't restrict the ability for the seat to stretch as it should. Most all pants have a few areas he can pull from though. It's an expensive addition but if you've got some old busted pants he could likely make something useful out of them.

You have to provide the material and he can sew it in as an overlayer. It adds weight to it, and he is very selective on what parts of the clothing that he pulls material from. Some areas are more elastic than others and he wants to be sure the overlay material doesn't restrict the ability for the seat to stretch as it should. Most all pants have a few areas he can pull from though. It's an expensive addition but if you've got some old busted pants he could likely make something useful out of them.

Got ya, looks great. Enjoy it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a great saddle. Many unique features.

That's awesome. What attracted you to the wolf skin? And do you care to elaborate on the features you're talking about? I know he's done some pretty interesting things on folks saddles with special requests. That's what I love so much about it. Once you have an idea of what you want, it's a great investment to make with that kind of customization available.

This one is mine
fa8c7be3c936f05943f1c0fd9769c850.jpg

@SETXsportsman6 I'm curious about that belt, that looks awesome. The saddles I have been using the last couple years I mod them with a battle belt. I like being able to carry all I need on my saddle and having it in hands reach in a pouch. Every saddle I've owned( and I've owned alot) cannot handle the weight without sagging. This saddle looks beefed up in the waist belt, is it? And if so was that a request or do they come like that? I was already taking notes to get Matt to build me one next year.

@SETXsportsman6 I'm curious about that belt, that looks awesome. The saddles I have been using the last couple years I mod them with a battle belt. I like being able to carry all I need on my saddle and having it in hands reach in a pouch. Every saddle I've owned( and I've owned alot) cannot handle the weight without sagging. This saddle looks beefed up in the waist belt, is it? And if so was that a request or do they come like that? I was already taking notes to get Matt to build me one next year.
So since I've had this one, I haven't loaded it up with a bunch of stuff. I actually just attached my pouches, kydex hooks, etc to the molle today. Before my plan was to carry everything either daisy chained or in my pack because I like my profile to be as tight as possible.

What I can tell you, is that before I had a TX5 I used a Tethrd mantis and experienced the same issues. The TX5 I had at the end of last season carried weight very well and that was without the adjustable amsteel bridge that acts like an additional belt to cinch down. I think I could carry everything I have on this saddle. The belt holds firm when tightened down and when you cinch down the amsteel bridge as well, you can pull it in super tight to your body. I wouldn't see any need to have a battle belt with my saddle but I don't attempt to carry a platform or anything like that on it. I carry ropes, hys strap, caribiners, and a backband in my one pouch, and I have a kydex holster for my thumb release, kydex molle hooks, and a Doyle's hunting hoist that also normally sit on my molle loops. Like I said, I haven't actually tested to see how it carries all of that, but I will eat crow if you're disappointed with it. He uses all high quality stuff. Matthew's not gonna build you the most minimalist saddle on the market, unless you were to specifically request something like that, but he will build you a solid saddle that is comfortable as hell.

Also, I'll note that all you will have to do is mention to him that being able to carry substantial weight is one of your main priorities for your saddle and he will take care of you. The guy is the mad scientist of saddle building in my opinion.

It is a great saddle IMO. Comfortable and some unique features. It is well built but not super available as an option.

I feel like availability will come in time. Right now he's just a one man operation with a full time job and a family, and building saddles is his side job. I think he's got a great thing going right now, and I could only imagine the kind of innovation we could see coming from him if he had less time building saddles and more time to perfect the design.

So since I've had this one, I haven't loaded it up with a bunch of stuff. I actually just attached my pouches, kydex hooks, etc to the molle today. Before my plan was to carry everything either daisy chained or in my pack because I like my profile to be as tight as possible.

What I can tell you, is that before I had a TX5 I used a Tethrd mantis and experienced the same issues. The TX5 I had at the end of last season carried weight very well and that was without the adjustable amsteel bridge that acts like an additional belt to cinch down. I think I could carry everything I have on this saddle. The belt holds firm when tightened down and when you cinch down the amsteel bridge as well, you can pull it in super tight to your body. I wouldn't see any need to have a battle belt with my saddle but I don't attempt to carry a platform or anything like that on it. I carry ropes, hys strap, caribiners, and a backband in my one pouch, and I have a kydex holster for my thumb release, kydex molle hooks, and a Doyle's hunting hoist that also normally sit on my molle loops. Like I said, I haven't actually tested to see how it carries all of that, but I will eat crow if you're disappointed with it. He uses all high quality stuff. Matthew's not gonna build you the most minimalist saddle on the market, unless you were to specifically request something like that, but he will build you a solid saddle that is comfortable as hell.

Thank you. It definitely looks like it could carry alot with no problem. I was noticing that top row of molle, the black part, it definitely looks stiffer. I actually have a pouch that I had Matt make during the summer that was extra large, I carry my linesman,tether,and 5 squirrel steps in, I have a cheap Amazon dump pouch in the rear with a Doyles, and 2 silent approach dump pouches on my right side, one has my release and rangefinder, wicked tree saw and EZ kut clippers and milkweed, and the next closest to my bridge loop has about 12 carbon bolts and 4 grade 8 bolts, treehopper mini and a cranford bow hanger. Right now I'm running the Phantom and it does ok without the battle belt but not like I want it to, I definitely want to get with Matt to build what I need. Thanks for your help.

Thank you. It definitely looks like it could carry alot with no problem. I was noticing that top row of molle, the black part, it definitely looks stiffer. I actually have a pouch that I had Matt make during the summer that was extra large, I carry my linesman,tether,and 5 squirrel steps in, I have a cheap Amazon dump pouch in the rear with a Doyles, and 2 silent approach dump pouches on my right side, one has my release and rangefinder, wicked tree saw and EZ kut clippers and milkweed, and the next closest to my bridge loop has about 12 carbon bolts and 4 grade 8 bolts, treehopper mini and a cranford bow hanger. Right now I'm running the Phantom and it does ok without the battle belt but not like I want it to, I definitely want to get with Matt to build what I need. Thanks for your help.
The top black molle is definitely stiffer. I believe it's actually something like seat belt webbing that is folded a certain way then stitched in place. They're pretty rigid. They're also the perfect size to receive a Doyle's hunting hoist.

Back