• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ultralight Carabiners

justsomedude

NOT FOR HANGING YOUR BODYWEIGHT

But they are rated 1000 lbs and only weigh 10 grams each.
They are used for hanging Hammocks (which is bodyweight) from small/strong lines.
These are a great alternative to S-Biners and are about the same price as Climbing "mini-carabiners" but way smaller/lighter.

http://dutchwaregear.com/dutch-biners-pair.html

This website also sells the strong lightweight ropes like Amsteel, Dynaglide in short lengths

YEP!

It's crazy dialing in my Tree Saddle rig AND a Hammock setup.
Ultimately I would like to have a good backpacking/hunting kit.

Getting close.

I'm not surprised that there are a few hammockers on this site. Seems like saddles are to hunting as hammocks are to hiking... A little more complicated to get right but once you do, they offer a ton of advantages.

Love the hammock idea. Can you recommend any? Looks like they make flys in case it rains?

9956a24626bcd7160f15771b386d3e06.jpg

Mine are henneseys but check this baby out!
a88153368bc44848d7f74f1326257da9.jpg
its called a tensile tent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate you guys. I've spent way too much money since I met you all! :lol:

This one might have to go on the christmas list...

Do a lot of research before you buy.
I bought an ENO rig which is fine for car camping but heavier and more expensive than what I would buy now.
You also have to get into the whole insulation thing

hammockforums.net

I have sewn a few hammocks myself, trying to get into it and save money. I succeeded on one end: making myself want a nice hammock. I made a few decent ones and learned how to sew (which is nice for outdoors stuff...when you need something simple, it's another skill you can harness to just make it yourself) but I probably spent more money in small increments than I would just buying a Hennessey hammock. I think Hennessey is still the place to go for excellent hammocks, but it's been a little bit since I've researched.

Unless you're sleeping somewhere REALLY warm, you'll need insulation underneath. A ground pad works but is uncomfortable. The best is a down under quilt (UQ) combined with a down top quilt (TQ), based on my research only.

You and whispers_death have forced me to hit my bank account for $300+ at some point in the future for the rope climbing, so I'm happy to direct you to the hammock world and return the favor :twisted:

boone0 said:
hammockforums.net

You and whispers_death have forced me to hit my bank account for $300+ at some point in the future for the rope climbing, so I'm happy to direct you to the hammock world and return the favor :twisted:

LOL

Hammock camping is definitely comfy and lightweight. Some of the best nights of sleep I've ever had were in my hammock. The only issue I've run into is when you don't have trees. lol

I'm also way too poor for all the fancy stuff that costs so much, so I made and/or modified everything I use for hammock camping. You'd be surprised what you can do with shock cord, cord locks, poncho liners, reflective blankets, sil-nylon, paracord, etc... lol

I made my system so that I can "go to the ground" too, but it's not that comfortable to do so, basically it pretty much sucks if there are no trees available. You won't die, but you might want to. lol That's an extremely rare and regional issue though.

Like Boone said, underquilt and topquilt are the way to go for warmth too. I tried an old ISOmat and sleeping bag, but that was awful impo. I found that keeping the hammock lower to the ground (not touching ground) and the tarp (mine is full enclosure for winter) close to the ground too, you stay warmer, less air circulating around you I guess and less air inside the "tent" to warm up with your body heat.

Now I want to break out my hammock and go camping.

Awesome information guys. Keep it coming! I don't have any plans on camping over the winter so I have some time to research this. My NY trip opened my eyes to some possibilities, so a little back country turkey trip is in my mind. :D

I thought this thread was about UL carbiners? LOL!

I actually read it and it's about hammocks... :mrgreen:

I've been hammock camping for a couple of years now - mostly in the winter. I hate camping when it's too warm.

The only real "trick" to it is to go heavy on bottom insulation. You can pretty much mess up everything else and still be comfy :mrgreen:

BA169754-9528-400C-9A4D-149D2EE4D524_zps8yvcz9ul.jpg

On you tube I went to a channel called "camping with hammocks" the guy has some good sit videos for hammock gear. Worth the look. Made my own under quilts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL we should probably start a new hammock camping thread!

I've been looking into hammock camping for awhile now, but haven't pulled the trigger on one yet. check out Clarks jungle hammocks. They make a good 4 season hammock.

I think my post made it sound like I wasn't too thrilled with hammocks.. They are a little higher maintenance but damn, they are COMFORTABLE. much more so than my thermarest pas (which I do sleep on a few times a year, camping and in other situations and is pretty comfy)

By me here in the NE, there aren't very many dry and flat spots to camp. It's also ridiculously humid in the summer. I look forward to winter hammock camping! :p

My favorite setup these days is a Warbonnet Blackbird with a full length underquilt from Hammock Gear (Incubator 0° with 4oz of "overstuff"). The underquilt is the biggest hurdle for most folks - the most fiddle-factor. Go deep and stick with proven setups and you won't have a problem.

385552C7-6174-4BE9-8E49-48315E99AD3E_zpsjrggg1z3.png

My cottage sleeping arrangement is 100% hammock... :mrgreen:
8DD4179C-3C74-4396-8A7A-48454E925DD3-1994-000002256706DE46_zpsa9a1fe6b.jpg

I'm actually getting a half sized hammock seat that has a small Underquilt to keep from getting Cold Butt Syndrome.
The maker is a bow hunter and hunts out of it....it packs down the size of a softball.

Could be a great companion to a Tree Saddle setup.

justsomedude said:
I'm actually getting a half sized hammock seat that has a small Underquilt to keep from getting Cold Butt Syndrome.
The maker is a bow hunter and hunts out of it....it packs down the size of a softball.

Could be a great companion to a Tree Saddle setup.

That sounds very interesting. Got a link?

Back