• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ultralight rigs

justsomedude

IMG_2638.JPG This is a rig I could carry when I might end up just ground hunting but can break it out and get up a tree quickly. And it's light enough where I won't be mad that I have it

SitDrag with webbing bridge
Camp Ultralight mountaineering harness with a sling in the loop for comfort (on a prusik when at height)

Tether with Ropeman and locking biner (I don't like 9mm rope though..sticking with Yale bandit). The 9mm tether tends to bind on the tree and tends to slightly jam in the Ropeman

Black diamond 5 step aider clipped to tether (should be shorter than a standard tether) with Prusik.
Foot stirrups tied from webbing on a separate Biner

Ropeman or any one handed adjustment on the tether is essential for one aider climbing.

As you step up, you have the tag end in your hand and the tether is tightened immediately.
A Linesmans belt with one handed adjustment can be helpful when raising your tether.

Loading the rock harness and SitDrag with your weight at the same time spreads the load and makes it much more comfortable. You could experiment with sling length to get it right but adjustment makes it easier (Prusik).

With Stirrups and aider as platform, to rest you hug the tree. You can easily stand straight up. Comfort depends upon your shoes. I'll likely wrap these to make them bigger. You can brace your feet against tree and get around it. You can also shoot weak side.

To declutter, you could remove the aider at height but it can come in handy...one foot in aider at a lower height and one in stirrup to turn sideways.

Weighs 60oz in a stuff sack. Could be lightened slightly

Last edited:
Mine all goes into a small sling pack looks very similar to yours

669871874374b7655b94e0fd669645e6.jpg
18b25fd9e15ade2e45658a74313caefb.jpg
weighed mine this morning I am currently at 4 pounds with saddle and climbing gear...that seems heavy now that the kestrel is 2 pounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm trying to cut out all unnecessary gear myself.
I'm very interested in the 1 aider climb method. Seems a 5 step is the way to go..?!?!.
How about using my rappel rope as my primary tree tether to hang from and ascend with paired with an aider on a seperate tether with prussic/or ropeman per Justsomedudes post....?
I still will probably use my strap-on ameristeps with oc buckle as I really like the stability .

What does this weight include? If you're hunting from a SitDrag, the Kestrel will greatly increase your weight from a percentage perspective.

Remember that the Kestrel weight doesn't use hardware like the Ropeman. They don't have Rappel gear or stirrup gear either.
What does this weight include? If you're hunting from a SitDrag, the Kestrel will greatly increase your weight from a percentage perspective.

Sit drag with tubular webbing bridge, back support belt, 4 step web aider w/ stirrups, tether (biner and ropeman), sling pack

Remember that the Kestrel weight doesn't use hardware like the Ropeman. They don't have Rappel gear or stirrup gear either.

Right - which is why the only fair way to measure the difference is with a bare saddle; no ropes, lines, or carabiners. All of those things are user preference anyway.

If I remember correctly, my SitDrag with belt, bridge, and molle loops was right at 11 oz. The Kestrel is almost 3 lbs bare.

However, that's really comparing apples and oranges since the Kestrel is a FAR SUPERIOR product.

Yes. I have a lightweight fleece pouch that I can stow extra rope in while hunting. Another option is to stuff the tail end into your backpack if you have one hanging.

I'm such a nerd that I have done a fe hundred threads about details like this...
http://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/hunting-with-a-ground-length-tether.2005/

I'm trying to cut out all unnecessary gear myself.
I'm very interested in the 1 aider climb method. Seems a 5 step is the way to go..?!?!.
How about using my rappel rope as my primary tree tether to hang from and ascend with paired with an aider on a seperate tether with prussic/or ropeman per Justsomedudes post....?
I still will probably use my strap-on ameristeps with oc buckle as I really like the stability .

One other thing. If you see my "Stirrups" thread in the Climbing methods forum.... Just to add....in those pics, I used those Stirrups to do my whole climb (as opposed to an aider). You obviously make less progress per move. But you don't have to keep threading your feet into the loops and it is much less bulky.

Jury is still out

I wouldn't say you were a nerd....without people like you; the world would still be pushing around a stone wheel with an axle and forked branch like the B.C comics in Sunday paper....
Thinkers came up with the internal combustion engine and other such conveniences of today....

Replaced the fanny pack with another and altered carrying method to wear sit drag. Got the weight down to 3.2 pounds this morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back