• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Unbelievable Tree Fall Survival

ricky racer

Be careful out there guys. This video was posted by Arborists from down under. The following tells about what happened:

4 best mates went climbing up a Beautiful Sequoia Tree in the Dandenong Ranges. After enjoying the climb Andy was the last one in the tree. He was busy searching for a piece of equipment that had fallen off my harness when suddenly he was falling. He had forgotten to tie a stopper knot in the end of his line.

Be careful out there guys. This video was posted by Arborists from down under. The following tells about what happened:

4 best mates went climbing up a Beautiful Sequoia Tree in the Dandenong Ranges. After enjoying the climb Andy was the last one in the tree. He was busy searching for a piece of equipment that had fallen off my harness when suddenly he was falling. He had forgotten to tie a stopper knot in the end of his line.

So did he rappel off the end of his climbing line? Or was he hanging on a temporary lanyard and slipped off of it? I saw what looked like him coming down slowly, stopped for a second and then went plummeting to the ground catching and breaking on quite a few small branches headed down (those branches may have been the main reason he survived). Or maybe he was using an 8 or a belay device that wasn’t backed up???

So did he rappel off the end of his climbing line? Or was he hanging on a temporary lanyard and slipped off of it? I saw what looked like him coming down slowly, stopped for a second and then went plummeting to the ground catching and breaking on quite a few small branches headed down (those branches may have been the main reason he survived). Or maybe he was using an 8 or a belay device that wasn’t backed up???
That's what I'm wondering. I didn't watch the video, but the only way you'd fall like that is if your line wasn't touching the ground while you rappelled

That's what I'm wondering. I didn't watch the video, but the only way you'd fall like that is if your line wasn't touching the ground while you rappelled
The line might not have touched the ground but from the looks of it the lines were at the base and he was the last man in the tree. It didn’t appear to be a MRS set up to me so I don’t know. Best I can tell, these were recreational climbers so I wish there were a bit more detail.

If he was repelling what would a stopper knot do? Or am I missing something?
If the line stopped short of hitting the ground, it would have prevented him from going beyond the end of his rope in a Ddrt or SRS descent. Guys have slid off the end of the ropes when they were coming down not knowing their lines weren’t all the way to the ground.

If the line stopped short of hitting the ground, it would have prevented him from going beyond the end of his rope in a Ddrt or SRS descent. Guys have slid off the end of the ropes when they were coming down not knowing their lines weren’t all the way to the ground.
True..I always make sure my rope is touching or very close to hitting the ground before I start my repel. One lucky S.O.B. forsure!

Back