• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Unconventional decoy tactics

ThePennsylvanian

I am curious to see if any of you have ever used deer decoys in different ways than in open fields. I've had some experiences that lead me to buy some montana decoys to carry with me this year. I plan to use them in a field, yes, however I'm very excited to try these in particular spots in wooded habitat as well. In 2 of the spots a decoy could have brought the buck in just a little bit closer when I was calling to them, but they got to a spot where they could see where there should have been deer.... I'm interested in seeing if any one else has used decoys other than in fields and such....

I have. I have used the Montana decoys and they can work great or totally wreck the situation. Depends on a number of things. First being the deer your decoying, sometimes certain deer (especially older more experienced deer) will not be fooled. They also are the ones that won't come to a call alot of the times.
High winds can be a problem with decoys especially with the montana decoys. Unnatural movement will push deer away.
Almost always they will circle down wind so plan your placement accordingly and be very careful with scent control while handling the decoy. Use a little buck or doe urine lure to help.
I have had success with them and sometimes they hurt. I wish I could figure out which way it would go so I know if dragging it around is worth it. Give it a try, and good luck.

I think it would be worth the try. You do conceivably put out more ground scent setting them up and if you're in a honey hole that doesn't see or smell much human activity it may create unwanted awareness but that's just my psychosis talking about how smart the deer can be. In field set ups I believe the deer may be more used to human scent in some of those areas but also the openings give more opportunities for the target buck or deer to see your decoy set up. I would like a ridge or other blocker to the downwind side of your decoy setup so they couldn't circle it. I think that would work the slickest in the woods, especially on a primary scrape or even a mock.

Back