• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Unicorn buck

IkemanTX

So, my dad hunts a lease in west Texas and he has several nice bucks this year. He has 3-4 5.5 year olds and 2 probable 6.5 year olds he is focused on.
HOWEVER, he also has a buck that is a typical 8 point that is probably just shy of being outside the ears plus a UNICORN antler coming out of his forehead....
My dad is determined he is not going to take the unicorn buck. He gets 2 bucks a year, and wants the older deer instead. They only score maybe 20" more than the unicorn. My brother and I are trying to convince him to take the unicorn if he gets the chance, just because of how unique it is...
What would you do?

aa19678c24881c5b246df88fdbf7bf65.jpg

19de5bce5d8001e5d145330852668c3e.jpg

5b9cb9c14e13c39bff31a8290cde90ce.jpg

b7d478f948104f134feda39d72eab2d7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Added two pics to the original poat

I'd be gunning for the unicorn. I am a fan of deer with added character.

I'd leave him in hopes that it gets even more radical in a year or two. But then again it would probably depend on the mood at the minute he gave me a chance

Now that's truly a unique rack! It would be cool if you could monitor him over a period of years. However, if there are other hunters hunting that area, someone will likely decide to take the shot.

If I thought I could keep him on my property I'd let him grow 3 more years.

If I thought I could keep him on my property I'd let him grow 3 more years.

My thought on that is, he has never seen this growth before. This buck acts like kind of a home body, so I doubt he had the unicorn last year. He would have shown up on camera. He looks to be 3.5-4.5 for bucks in the area. He may never throw a unicorn again. Property line is only 250 yards away as well.

Ok, so after talking to the landowner... my dad wasn’t able to shoot the buck. Property rules are 8-point, outside the ears, 3.5 or older. This buck isn’t quite outside the ears. Even though the unicorn makes it a heck of a trophy in my opinion.

The crazy thing though... I was scanning a thread on a Texas bowhunting forum for that area and someone else shot a similar unicorn. This one was bigger, was a 10-point (not including the unicorn) and definitely outside the ears. I haven’t gotten confirmation of how close the properties are yet, but do you think this could be a genetic trait taking hold in the area somehow, or just a huge coincidence?

Just for reference, my dad’s unicorn again...
1a01eaf727fbbf79eb4da2286e98596b.jpg

4bfed2fbe7137ee47b2f35b62a15fe9a.jpg

And the other one shot in the same general area (2ish counties)
521a6faa7d1cd8252fca6ae093cb0840.jpg

I came across this buck a guy had shot around where I hunt. Only picture I took but was pretty neat.

Attachments

• IMG_2350.JPG
    IMG_2350.JPG
    240.5 KB · Views: 19
Here's one we had on camera last year. A neighbor ended up shooting it.
f12f954ea20cedf5d98daf419c29ab60.jpg
7a1e21da3fc22da5420e30cf4ec04070.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back