• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

uninsulated bib recommendation?

raisins

SH Member
It's easy to find insulated bibs with all the features I'd like, but it seems hunting companies don't think people want bibs when it is a bit warmer out.

I'd like an uninsulated bib that hopefully has at least some of these qualities:

1. camo or at least an earth tone
2. full length front zipper with dual zippers (can zip bottom up or vice versa)
3. cargo pockets with secure closure
4. boot zippers to help getting them on
5. not 100% cotton

This is the closest I've found.

Some of the Carhartts have boot zippers at least and are unlined. I can always get a light color and then camo them with some dye splatters.

Any tips?

It's easy to find insulated bibs with all the features I'd like, but it seems hunting companies don't think people want bibs when it is a bit warmer out.

I'd like an uninsulated bib that hopefully has at least some of these qualities:

1. camo or at least an earth tone
2. full length front zipper with dual zippers (can zip bottom up or vice versa)
3. cargo pockets with secure closure
4. boot zippers to help getting them on
5. not 100% cotton

This is the closest I've found.

Some of the Carhartts have boot zippers at least and are unlined. I can always get a light color and then camo them with some dye splatters.

Any tips?

No leads? The bibs don't need all those features, that's just a wish list. Also, by uninsulated, they could be maybe one layer fleece. I am just wanting something good for walking in when it is 45 to 55 F (too hot for heavy bibs but too cold for a draft up your back all day in a saddle). My current lightest bibs are polyester outside (Midway's knockoff of UA) with a fleece liner, and by themselves they are too warm.

Maybe I need to go to Carhartt? They are making stretch gray ones now (but it seems all of them are pretty much 100% cotton).

Last edited:
Dan’s would be some to check out. I use their their snake chaps in the summer for deep woods scouting in NC because of the grass and ferns that grow under the canopy in my area and lots of copperheads. Not sure if their bibs will have all of those features that you’re looking for.

Asking for a unicorn. The very small temperature window where this would be useful, and only for saddle hunters because of the updraft of a jacket over compressed butt/pants, makes me think you'll never see it.

Two things have helped me overcome the specific issue - using the hybrid which eliminates the issue, and if I'm using a soft saddle, I have bought longer top layers that tuck completely in pants and stay tucked. Layers that are cut right at pants waist often don't retain the heat as well.

Look at @bj139 sewing in reflective panels in some clothes. You might be able to do something similar with a piece of windproof fabric on the back of one of your layers. Or get suspenders, and sew it on there, to be deployed when you get in your tree.

@kyler1945 just gave me a good idea. Cut a piece of Reflectix and when you get to your tree slide it in the back of your unisulated bibs for extra warmth if you can find them. How about work type Carhart bibs? I have been walking in without a coat in 50F weather and putting on my Refectix modified coat once I am up in the tree. I start out the hunt with no sweat.

Last edited:
Asking for a unicorn. The very small temperature window where this would be useful, and only for saddle hunters because of the updraft of a jacket over compressed butt/pants, makes me think you'll never see it.

Two things have helped me overcome the specific issue - using the hybrid which eliminates the issue, and if I'm using a soft saddle, I have bought longer top layers that tuck completely in pants and stay tucked. Layers that are cut right at pants waist often don't retain the heat as well.

Look at @bj139 sewing in reflective panels in some clothes. You might be able to do something similar with a piece of windproof fabric on the back of one of your layers. Or get suspenders, and sew it on there, to be deployed when you get in your tree.

I'm thinking a wide band that overlaps pants and top might work. In the cool weather, a 60/40 cotton/poly blend might not be too bad. I've found two makers of those. It's weird that the cold weather stuff is synthetic or wool but the warm is all sweat grabbin' cotton (when the trend now is warm weather shirts to all be wicking polyester).

I think the cotton work pants are a safety issue with welders and grinder operators. Burned cotton is much better than melted plastic on your skin.

Back