• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Unusually warm weather

kenn1320

Its 60deg here in Michigan and probably warmer than normal in a lot of our areas. Who is scouting now instead of waiting till spring?

Nope. Hunt. I just follow two rules:

1. Hunt mornings
2. Hunt near water

What about during cold snaps? Like 30-40deg weather? Stick to late season afternoon tactics?

I'm scouting this week. Our season is over today in upstate NY. This time last year we already had many feet of snow on the ground. It's supposed to be almost 60 today!

It looks like the milder (at least not 2 feet of snow) weather is going to hold out here for a while. I'm planning on scouting the next 2 weekends and then hunting those areas in January to get a feel for them for more in depth scouting and hunting for next year. My areas close to home are mostly open hardwoods hill country and after the rut the food sources really dry up and the deer move out of there. So it is time to try to find some spots closer to home with some late season deer.

Our season isnt over till Jan 1, but we still have lots of pressure depending on the area. Deer just dont move well and I get more excited scouting new ground than hunting anyway. Figured I would go look for rut sign now versus waiting till spring. If I find fresh deer sign that relates to bedding, well thats a plus to know where they go when the pressure is on. I might shoot another deer yet this year, but Id much rather find new ground for next year. :cool:

Re: RE: Re: Unusually warm weather

boone0 said:
What about during cold snaps? Like 30-40deg weather? Stick to late season afternoon tactics?
No. Every big weather change means different tactics. And the only way to really know is to spend time in a tree. No one else can predict what deer in your area will do...

It is warm here all week. Then this weekend (when my cough is gone), it drops from highs in the 60's lows in the 50's right to Lows in low 20's and highs in the mid 30's.
Boys, if I don't post here by noon on Sunday then I am probably shooting one more doe from the saddle when my old man comes to hunt and I will switch over to trapping and duck hunting.

It was in the 70s this weekend and all we killed was a bunch of mosquitoes. I'm still on daddy duty but I plan to have a week to myself after Christmas for our rut. Suppose to get in the 30s this weekend and hope to get my middle son his 1st.

Killing mosquitoes.
30a24f62fcc3ebc48dd6074f8a67d16c.jpg

I never got to hunt barefoot in December in PA. I remember this week would be doe season when I was growing up. We did more still hunting in doe season and it seemed that the temp was always 20 degrees colder than when we did our drives in buck season.

Or maybe it just seemed that way to a 12 year old trying to sit still!!!

swampsnyper said:
It was in the 70s this weekend and all we killed was a bunch of mosquitoes. I'm still on daddy duty but I plan to have a week to myself after Christmas for our rut. Suppose to get in the 30s this weekend and hope to get my middle son his 1st.

Killing mosquitoes.
30a24f62fcc3ebc48dd6074f8a67d16c.jpg

I love this picture SO MUCH!

He killed opening day of youth. It was a lot colder. I told him to take his boots off. He was making too much noise even though we scrapped the leaves out. I had to get a pic! Lol

swampsnyper said:
He killed opening day of youth. It was a lot colder. I told him to take his boots off. He was making too much noise even though we scrapped the leaves out. I had to get a pic! Lol

What caliber is that?

Back