• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Upgrade iPhone this Fall? YES! - Crash Detection & Satellite Emcomm!

LoadedLimbs

SH Member
With all the recent discussions about the risks we're taking pursuing our hunting passions outdoors, I've been thinking about emergency communications (emcomm) where there's no cellular phone service. Such capability could prove life-saving in a number of danger scenarios:

1. If you're somehow stuck or suspended in a tree and unable to descend safely
2. After a fall from height or an injury from something falling from above
3. If you're treed by a bear that won’t go away, or mauled by one [several states forbid the carry of a sidearm while archery hunting, even for CCW holders]
4. After an accidental gash from (mis)handling a broad head
5. After a gunshot wound
6. After a venomous snake bite

I started looking at the Garmin inReach Mini 2 satellite communication device, but have a hard time justifying the expense for a "one use" device with such limited functionality. The initial price of the device is $400, currently, and that doesn't cover the cost of the required satellite service. The lowest tier of annual satellite service is about $150/year currently. So for the first two years of ownership, that's going to cost a person ($400+$150+$150) = $700 for the peace of mind of being able to send an SOS via the satellite network to provide your location coordinates and summon emergency rescue service to them.

Enter your latest alternative: A new Apple iPhone that contains satellite emcomm circuitry, to be software-enabled in November 2022.

iPhones that contain the circuitry needed for satellite emcomm are available now. (See below) They will permit emergency SOS text messaging, which sends your location coordinates, as well as "crash detection", which will initiate emcomm to emergency services and automatically include your location coordinates after a crash is detected by the iPhone's built in accelerometers - even if you're injured or unconscious and unable to do so yourself.

I have to inquire further to confirm, but from what I understand, it may also detect and react the same to a hard fall, something that will give saddle and tree stand hunters extra peace of mind. And if you choose to specify family members as emergency contacts in the case of a crash or SOS initiation, they'll be automatically notified of the event as well as emergency services.

The initial release of iOS 16 software doesn't have the emcomm functionality enabled. That functionality is planned for a release in November 2022 via a routine iOS software update. Here are some of the details on the functionality from Apple's website:

Link #1: Emergency SOS via Satellite
Link #2: Manage Crash Detection

So the fine print states that the satellite emcomm service is included "for free for two years with the activation of any iPhone 14 model". I presume that after those first two years, you can choose to extend the term of service. And the iPhone tries to initiate the SOS emcomm via any viable open cellular or WIFI connection first - even if it's not your normal carrier. If open cellular or WIFI service isn't available, it progresses to satellite communication. Note, there are other iPhone models now shipping with SOS satellite emcomm circuitry that aren't iPhone 14, but it does not appear that they'll have the crash detection functionality of the iPhone 14. Regardless, I can spend $700 toward a Garmin inReach Mini 2 and satellite service for the next 2 years, or just upgrade to an iPhone 14 for a little more money, and have the same functionality and one less electronic device to keep charged and carry in the field with me. I know which choice I'm going to make. How about you?

Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 1.15.20 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 1.03.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 1.03.51 AM.png
    93.9 KB · Views: 7
Automated crash detection...right. I'm sure that will be 100% reliable on the first go around. Like how my wife gets 10,000 steps from folding laundry and that tech is at least a decade old now. As long as marketing stays ahead of the product team, they keep the shareholders happy.

It sounds good, but I'll wait for reviews as far as how well the iPhone picks up satellites.

I have a Garmin inreach....not sure what you mean by a one time use item.

I have the basic plan. I can SOS, but only have 3 messages I can send (that must be loaded into their website beforehand)

The messages I can send for free are

Walking
Climbing
I'm OK

Sending one also sends your coordinates

I get to a spot (edit: out of the vehicle and ready to hit woods) and send Walking. Find a tree and send Climbing. Done climbing and safe then I send I'm OK. I reverse this on the way down/out.

If on the ground hunting/walking, I periodically send I'm OK as a bread crumb trail.

Last edited:
It sounds good, but I'll wait for reviews as far as how well the iPhone picks up satellites.

I have a Garmin inreach....not sure what you mean by a one time use item.

I have the basic plan. I can SOS, but only have 3 messages I can send (that must be loaded into their website beforehand)

The messages I can send for free are

Walking
Climbing
I'm OK

Sending one also sends your coordinates

I get to a spot and send Walking. Find a tree and send Climbing. Done climbing and safe then I send I'm OK. I reverse this on the way down/out.

If on the ground hunting/walking, I periodically send I'm OK as a bread crumb trail.
Props to you on a great system. To @LoadedLimbs I just thought about this same thing but because I saw a commercial during MNF for apples new watches. I don't own one and don't plan to but there are plenty of watch companies out there that already do this. I actually have a friend who is an avid biker. She was out doing a ride and saw a deer sprinting across a field towards the road. Slowed to avoid the deer but the deer crossed in front of her into oncoming traffic and a box truck hit the deer. The collision sent the deer flying in the air and smashing into her. Broke her bike, her collarbone, some ribs, and wrist. Her family was notified instantly. Can't say the same would happen with a fall but it's definitely worth investigating.

EDIT: I just looked and the apple watches do specifically mention "a hard fall"

Last edited:
@elk yinzer - I hear ya - no argument that Apple's iOS software has a history of requiring bug fixes as they evolve the functionality. There are several consumer products that already have crash or fall detection available. (i.e., On-Star in vehicles that have that service; Medical alert emcomm bracelets, etc.) The implementation is pretty straightforward - if the built-in accelerometer detects a rate of deceleration beyond a certain threshold, the crash detection flag is set and the software code progresses down the logic branch for emcomm initiation.

@raisins - you misunderstood - by "one use" device, I just meant that it's functionality is extremely specialized and limited. If I were in your shoes and had already invested in a Garmin inReach device, I'd do exactly as you're doing! But since I haven't purchased an inReach-capable Garmin device, I'm thinking that money could be better used to pay for an upgraded iPhone with emcomm capability. (And the crash detection will be an advantage over the Garmin inReach devices.)

Once Apple enables emcomm via the planned iOS upgrade, the only advantage I can see for the Garmin inReach is that you can send your coordinates to a non-emergency contact via the satellite service without triggering an SOS - I don't see that capability featured in the iPhone 14 information. It's easy to send your GPS coordinates to a contact with any iPhone if you have cellular or WIFI service ... but if all you have is satellite service, it doesn't look like the new iPhones will let you do so UNLESS you have your loved ones set up as emergency contacts AND an emcomm SOS is triggered by you or the crash detection logic. So that's one advantage of the Garmin inReach, for sure.

@elk yinzer - I hear ya - no argument that Apple's iOS software has a history of requiring bug fixes as they evolve the functionality. There are several consumer products that already have crash or fall detection available. (i.e., On-Star in vehicles that have that service; Medical alert emcomm bracelets, etc.) The implementation is pretty straightforward - if the built-in accelerometer detects a rate of deceleration beyond a certain threshold, the crash detection flag is set and the software code progresses down the logic branch for emcomm initiation.

@raisins - you misunderstood - by "one use" device, I just meant that it's functionality is extremely specialized and limited. If I were in your shoes and had already invested in a Garmin inReach device, I'd do exactly as you're doing! But since I haven't purchased an inReach-capable Garmin device, I'm thinking that money could be better used to pay for an upgraded iPhone with emcomm capability. (And the crash detection will be an advantage over the Garmin inReach devices.)

Once Apple enables emcomm via the planned iOS upgrade, the only advantage I can see for the Garmin inReach is that you can send your coordinates to a non-emergency contact via the satellite service without triggering an SOS - I don't see that capability featured in the iPhone 14 information. It's easy to send your GPS coordinates to a contact with any iPhone if you have cellular or WIFI service ... but if all you have is satellite service, it doesn't look like the new iPhones will let you do so UNLESS you have your loved ones set up as emergency contacts AND an emcomm SOS is triggered by you or the crash detection logic. So that's one advantage of the Garmin inReach, for sure.

I pondered getting the full inReach plan....then you can just chill in the tree and text folks for fun....

Mixed emotions on satellite tech coming to phones (5 years it'll be the norm, I heard).

There are days when I purposely hunt areas without cell reception because I want to disconnect from the world.

There are also days where I have to be in cell reception for family stuff or work.

So not being bound to one or the other I guess is kinda nice.

I do have an inreach from elk hunting but I never tote it into the whitetail woods. Mine is about 6 years old and rather hefty.

I do get a bit addicted to the screen, if I have reception I'm often cruising the internet. It's almost subconsious to the point where if I'm bored I'll read articles or check reddit or a couple of hunting forums. Feel like I get more disciplined about that the older I get but I do yearn for the old days of flip phones some days when the temptation wasn't there.

8 years ago I had an accident that almost got me.. no phone service, alone, sub zero temps, and that’s about all I want to say on an open forum, I now carry a PLB. I spend thousands on insurance every year that knock on wood I never need, $300 for a PLB that requires no subscription and is almost a sure thing to work to me is a no brainer, if the **** really hits the fan you want the right people coming asap, a tool that is easy to use, and something that is small enough to not be left home where it’s of no use. I’m not tech savvy at all, but when I did the research years ago a small PLB seemed to fit my needs. I can guarantee anybody reading this, if and when you were ever to need this device, no amount of money will be foremost in your mind, is your life worth $300? I would sure hope so. I bought mine direct from the company that makes them, registration took about 5 minutes online, it doesn’t get any easier.FD76A39B-64DA-4B79-9DC7-D1447917342A.jpeg

@Topdog - Excellent input - that's another option and it sounds like it's given you the desired capability for a very reasonable price. I think that anyone who has already acquired a PLB or a Garmin inReach wouldn't perceive much advantage to upgrading to the iPhone 14. And I do like the fact that both your PLB and the Garmin inReach units are an independent device from your cell phone - that could prove to be an advantage in some circumstances.

Since I haven't already invested in a PLB or inReach device, it's a clear choice to me to go with upgrading my cell phone for the convenience of avoiding the need to keep another device charged and with me on every outing.

@Topdog - Excellent input - that's another option and it sounds like it's given you the desired capability for a very reasonable price. I think that anyone who has already acquired a PLB or a Garmin inReach wouldn't perceive much advantage to upgrading to the iPhone 14. And I do like the fact that both your PLB and the Garmin inReach units are an independent device from your cell phone - that could prove to be an advantage in some circumstances.

Since I haven't already invested in a PLB or inReach device, it's a clear choice to me to go with upgrading my cell phone for the convenience of avoiding the need to keep another device charged and with me on every outing.
I will be doing the same thing once enough people try these new Iphones and report back with good news, you can’t put a price on making it home alive at night.

I saw a commercial for their new watch advertising a lot of these capabilities as well, I am not an apple person but may be able to add the watch for less $ than replacing the phone.

just be sure that you won't be trying to hit a satellite with some tinsy watch antenna....might not work well
To be clear iam not an iphone guy, I assumed the watch still needs the phone in your pocket for communication but the watch has the fancy sensors. If you do go this route please research to verify, as I don't plan to.

3. If you're treed by a bear that won’t go away, or mauled by one [several states forbid the carry of a sidearm while archery hunting, even for CCW holders]
Not to hijack.... this may be a niche scenario, but some years ago I got drawn for a city hunt on an airport property. Since I was on airport property I had to go unarmed, which wasn't an issue until my 3rd day hunting when I had a run-in with a (trespassing) dog-walker with two very aggressive, off-leash dogs, who she made no effort to control. Had I been armed I would have almost certainly shot one; as it was I was reduced to telling her "any dog that bites me gets stabbed with this arrow as many times as I can". Before that I had never considered pepper spray as bowhunting equipment but that season it most certainly was.

Where I used to work we had EPIRBs, and we responded to a number of activations when I was in the Coast Guard. I think I would personally be more comfortable with a standalone, dedicated unit like @Topdog showed. I forget who made it, but I remember seeing one made for motorcyclists that could deploy automatically if you wrecked your bike. I wonder if that same technology would deploy in a fall out of a tree.

Not to hijack.... this may be a niche scenario, but some years ago I got drawn for a city hunt on an airport property. Since I was on airport property I had to go unarmed, which wasn't an issue until my 3rd day hunting when I had a run-in with a (trespassing) dog-walker with two very aggressive, off-leash dogs, who she made no effort to control. Had I been armed I would have almost certainly shot one; as it was I was reduced to telling her "any dog that bites me gets stabbed with this arrow as many times as I can". Before that I had never considered pepper spray as bowhunting equipment but that season it most certainly was.

Where I used to work we had EPIRBs, and we responded to a number of activations when I was in the Coast Guard. I think I would personally be more comfortable with a standalone, dedicated unit like @Topdog showed. I forget who made it, but I remember seeing one made for motorcyclists that could deploy automatically if you wrecked your bike. I wonder if that same technology would deploy in a fall out of a tree.

The number one animal killer of humans in the USA are 1. various venomous bees, wasps, hornets, and ants (allergic reactions) and followed by 2. domestic dogs.

Last edited:

Why not shoot one with the bow? But in reality yikes that sucked sorry glad you didn't get bit.

To be clear iam not an iphone guy, I assumed the watch still needs the phone in your pocket for communication but the watch has the fancy sensors. If you do go this route please research to verify, as I don't plan to.
The watch can be used either way. It can be bought with cell service or not. But both options have GPS and can be used via satellite even without the phone present. my wife uses her gps without her phone on walks.

Why not shoot one with the bow? But in reality yikes that sucked sorry glad you didn't get bit.
It was weird. The dogs were clearly accustomed to what they were doing. One would bark while the other would try to circle behind me, so I kept maneuvering to keep them both in front of me; they would trade off barking and circling. I had considered shooting one with my bow, but that would have taken both hands and I couldn't have stabbed or clubbed one while drawing or aiming or shooting at the other one. I wonder how many deer those two dogs killed.

@Iron_llama - When the number of black bear sightings in one of my main hunting areas blossomed last year (and I began getting pics of them regularly from my cellular trail cams there) I decided to start carrying bear spray on my waist belt during archery hunts last year, since my state prohibits carry of a sidearm when archery hunting. I know that it's extremely unlikely that a black bear would attack, but for a nominal cost it gave me considerable peace of mind going in & out of that hunt area in the dark.

On your other point, I agree that there can be an advantage to having a dedicated emcomm device that is separate from your mobile phone. (i.e., An independent battery that isn't being drained for non-essential uses; Some PLBs / EPIRBs / and inReach devices are built to higher standards of ruggedness against drops/shock loads and dust/water ingress prevention than an iPhone.) But there is also a drawback in that you have another device to carry on your person in an easy-to-access location, that has to be kept charged in addition to your mobile phone, and which has its own weight and bulk, however modest that may be. So it's a personal choice that will vary by individual, for sure.

@Iron_llama - When the number of black bear sightings in one of my main hunting areas blossomed last year (and I began getting pics of them regularly from my cellular trail cams there) I decided to start carrying bear spray on my waist belt during archery hunts last year, since my state prohibits carry of a sidearm when archery hunting. I know that it's extremely unlikely that a black bear would attack, but for a nominal cost it gave me considerable peace of mind going in & out of that hunt area in the dark.

On your other point, I agree that there can be an advantage to having a dedicated emcomm device that is separate from your mobile phone. (i.e., An independent battery that isn't being drained for non-essential uses; Some PLBs / EPIRBs / and inReach devices are built to higher standards of ruggedness against drops/shock loads and dust/water ingress prevention than an iPhone.) But there is also a drawback in that you have another device to carry on your person in an easy-to-access location, that has to be kept charged in addition to your mobile phone, and which has its own weight and bulk, however modest that may be. So it's a personal choice that will vary by individual, for sure.

I am really impressed at the battery life of the inReach and the quality. It seems durably made and has never malfunctioned in anyway in 2 years of use.

Back