• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Use under-spined aluminum arrow to set up bow question?

thedutchtouch

SH Member
Not trying to hunt with these or actually shoot them, but have a question- wanting to set up my new bow (elite omnia) but currently don't have any stiff enough arrows on hand. Trip to local bass pro was unsuccessful so will be ordering some online when I return from a trip next week I suppose. Would using a VERY underspined aluminum arrow (came with my recurve, super light, I think Easton 1916s) be "safer" than using a moderately underspined (400) carbon arrow? I believe I need a 250-300ish spine arrow for my 29 inch draw/70 lb bow. Arrow will be used only to set up nock point, rest, peep height etc? (Peep height is really the only one that would require drawing the bow) so ideally the arrow would not be shot at all, just in the bow to protect against dry fire and to give me a level reference, so I thought perhaps worst case scenario if the release accidentally gets triggered or something, the aluminum arrow may noodle and fly strangely I to my wall, but no risk of it splintering into my forearm like the carbon one might? Or does having a way underspined arrow not protect the bow and it would be similar to dry firing anyway and I should just wait until I have some appropriately spined arrows on hand?

Try to set up your bow with the arrow you will be using. You don’t need to draw it to set your nock height. If you have a draw board put your scale in it and draw the bow with your draw board. Also check your cam timing while doing that. Before doing any of that make sure your bow is set to factory specs. Primarily ATA and brace within 1/8”

Ah shoot I didn't realize that nock height issue, makes sense. I suppose the smartest thing to do is to wait until I've returned and have the arrows I'm going to shoot out of it.

Back