• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Used gear value?

Dave0317

So, this is a weird category of gear to buy used in.

Saddle hunter classifieds in Facebook regularly has stuff $10-$30 OVER retail costs!

Climbing and safety equipment is normally something that drastically loses value as soon as it is used by someone else even once. You don’t know if it’s absorbed some falls, how much abrasion it has seen, etc. Seems risky.

And it seems like lots of these companies are always sending out coupon codes, running free shipping deals, Black Friday is coming up, etc.

So how is it that someone can post a year old saddle that’s been hunted in, at or above retail? Who pays that?

So how is it that someone can post a year old saddle that’s been hunted in, at or above retail? Who pays that?

Supply and demand. If I have a flex (I do) and want to sell it plain as the day I got it for at the price of retail and it's in great condition (it is) and someone said...I'll buy it...then it is sold. It's either that or wait 6-8 more weeks. I have bought things to try and sold them for close or even at retail price as the person buying it did not have to wait the amount of time.

At the beginning of my saddle obsession...I bought new from Mantis their saddle. Did not like it due to the hip pinch I got...sold it for what I bought it for as I had only hunted out of it once and hung from the basement I-beams about 6 times. Sold it for retail...and bought the Kestrel. I then turned around and sold it due to the flex coming out literally 3 days later...sold it for retail...never hunted out of and only hung from my basement I-beam less than 10x.

Now have the flex and won't sell it.

I had climbing spurs...sold those two for what I paid for them. Rope...yep...that too.

If someone has a product and they offer it for at retail or even above retail and I need it now...then I'm buying it...as long as the above retail price does include free shipping.

So, this is a weird category of gear to buy used in.

Saddle hunter classifieds in Facebook regularly has stuff $10-$30 OVER retail costs!

Climbing and safety equipment is normally something that drastically loses value as soon as it is used by someone else even once. You don’t know if it’s absorbed some falls, how much abrasion it has seen, etc. Seems risky.

And it seems like lots of these companies are always sending out coupon codes, running free shipping deals, Black Friday is coming up, etc.

Someone who wants a saddle and didn't plan ahead and buy it in time to get it before the season came. Where there is a limited supply but a high demand, the price will get inflated.

Because deer can make people do stupid things. Now what you are talking about isn’t necessarily stupid, but a result of limited supply and high demand. Also, the equipment that is being sold used hasn’t really been abused. It goes up a tree and hangs then comes down the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back