• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Using a blind in November

Arieleagle

Question for all- I will be participating in an archery hunt next week culling the deer herd. I’m in MN and the area is mixed hardwoods - oak, maple poplar and a lot of buck thorn. the weather is predicting rain showers for next Thursday. I don’t want to be in a tree all day getting rained on so I wI’ll probably set up a blind (square pop up 12x8. I know with public land deer they are leery of changes to their environment So how do I brush in a blind in November when the leaves are down? to hide a square? hunting rules are you either have to be in a blind or up in a tree- you can’t just sit under a tree. my trail cam picked up 4-5 deer in the area I scouted. there are several well traveled trails in this area.

Are there any cedars close?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your best bet is to probably get in as close to the buck thorn as possible assuming the pop-up camo blends in well. Only good thing about buck thorn is it's the last to drop leaves.

I think pretty much all pop up blinds look like square dark spots to deer. I think I will have to set it up in some thick bkthorn, move some dead fall branches to blend it as best I can and hope for the best.

Are you setting it up ahead of time and leaving it, or packing it in and out? If you're leaving it maybe you can snag some camo netting and drape it on some adjacent trees to give a more organic silhouette. I know some guys swear by leaving the windows open too but I've never noticed a difference.

Back