• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Using a Prussic for Climbing Sticks?

Fuse Dude

Who if anyone can offer (de)merit in using a Prussic knot to tighten a rope mod for attaching Climbing Sticks?

All thoughts are welcome!

Who if anyone can offer (de)merit in using a Prussic knot to tighten a rope mod for attaching Climbing Sticks?

All thoughts are welcome!
For one sticking or in a multiple stick set up? I dont see a benefit if using multiple sticks. If I was going to use a friction hitch for one sticking, I would use one that breaks easier than a prussic.

Following, I've also been thinking of changing my stick mount

So on EWO's website, they sell amsteel rope mods with prussics... they're called USAs... ultimate stick attachments.... I made some of these for my Beast sticks and they're pretty awesome... PM me if interested... I'll do them if u pay for materials and shipping... just gives me something to do in the garage

For one sticking or in a multiple stick set up? I dont see a benefit if using multiple sticks. If I was going to use a friction hitch for one sticking, I would use one that breaks easier than a prussic.
Well I got some sticks that have nylon straps w metal buckle that I'm considering a rope method. It would lighten these bulky sticks, considerably.

Last edited:
So on EWO's website, they sell amsteel rope mods with prussics... they're called USAs... ultimate stick attachments.... I made some of these for my Beast sticks and they're pretty awesome... PM me if interested... I'll do them if u pay for materials and shipping... just gives me something to do in the garage
Yeah seem like a slick system, considering a duel prussic setup, versus a full bury and prussic. Thanks for the offer, I'll consider it, but I'm looking for info and applications. Best Regards!

Any recommendations for knots you would consider "easy breaks"?

Much appreciated!

Any recommendations for knots you would consider "easy breaks"?

Much appreciated!
Michoacan and Blakes hitches I think could be used there if you want a friction hitch on the line and @Weldabeast option of a timber hitch would certainly be another friction option without adding a hitch to your line. Or you can use the basic rope mod option, it works just fine for me. Another good option is daisy chained amsteel.

Ya'll never cease to amaze me, in both the depth and brevity of knowledge, regarding peripheral systems for saddle hunting. I would never get this in my deer camps..

i think it would work, and someone is selling it now for sticks using amsteel

i'm not sure amsteel would be the best as the hitch gets really tight

for NOT life support, which is what i consider a stick since i'm always attached while climbing via both lineman's and tether, i would consider two different size accessory cords, with a thinner one for the hitch...the extra friction on the sheath makes it work better i believe

i would feel okay with a 6 or 7 mm accessory cord for the main line and like a 5 or 6 mm for the prusik....but that's just me....the teeth of the stick digging into the tree with the rope camming it into the tree takes some of the weight

this will be quicker than the daisy chain trucker's hitch method, but not as tight....

Last edited:
has OP tried a regular ol' rope mod? you can probably get it as tight as the prusik and it will likely come undone easier on your way down the tree
This. I see no benefit of fooling with knots when the "rope mod" or buckle less method work perfectly.

This. I see no benefit of fooling with knots when the "rope mod" or buckle less method work perfectly.
Would gain a little speed in hanging and removing sticks but only a minor amount. The other thing would be a little less fiddle factor from not having to loop the line and tie a half hitch as opposed to putting the loop on the friction hitch over the button and tightening. It would probably make one sticking descent a little easier but again probably not enough to be a "game changer". Ultimately it comes down to what feels comfortable and safe to the hunter. That is why I am working to get completely away from sticks period. I trust always being under tension on climb rated ropes way more than I trust sticks not to break or kick out or whatever that could create a sketchy situation, esp one where there is slack in the system.

has OP tried a regular ol' rope mod? you can probably get it as tight as the prusik and it will likely come undone easier on your way down the tree
Nah, not yet, I was sort of wondering about knots and hitches and ropes. I'm familiar with rope ratios but best current practices is what I'm curious about.

Thanks

Would gain a little speed in hanging and removing sticks but only a minor amount. The other thing would be a little less fiddle factor from not having to loop the line and tie a half hitch as opposed to putting the loop on the friction hitch over the button and tightening. It would probably make one sticking descent a little easier but again probably not enough to be a "game changer". Ultimately it comes down to what feels comfortable and safe to the hunter. That is why I am working to get completely away from sticks period. I trust always being under tension on climb rated ropes way more than I trust sticks not to break or kick out or whatever that could create a sketchy situation, esp one where there is slack in the system.

I'm still relatively a novice in regards to gear and climbing. I'm considering setups in warm weather, in essence, minimizing strenuous effort right before or during climb and setup. Therefore justifying to myself having sticks and platform versus tether climbing. Louisiana bottoms can be oppressive in vegetation, humidity, and mosquitoes (fr.:marigouin)

I'm still relatively a novice in regards to gear and climbing. I'm considering setups in warm weather, in essence, minimizing strenuous effort right before or during climb and setup. Therefore justifying to myself having sticks and platform versus tether climbing. Louisiana bottoms can be oppressive in vegetation, humidity, and mosquitoes (fr.:marigouin)
I hunt southeast AR along the White, AR and MS rivers, I know all about heat, humidity and skeeters that can breed a layin hen standing flat footed. To my knowledge, there is no climbing system period that I am not dripping sweat by hunting height before thanksgiving and some years well into to December. So for me it comes down to ease of function, safety and weight.

Another nice thing about the rope mod is you can do it one-handed. So hold your stick in place with one hand, attach the rope to button with other hand. Not as easy with a friction hitch.

My advice would be to try both and see what you prefer.

Back