• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Using WE stepps with sticks

ctbreitwieser

This has been a helluva week for me as far as climbing methods go. Friday evening my dad called me and told me he found his old Spurs. I stopped by their house and picked them up, got home, made some new straps from webbing and buckles I had at home, and was up in a tree right after that. Then Saturday I came across a guy on a local deer hunting page selling a set of 3 muddy aerolites. Snagged them up for $65 and added rope mods as soon as I got home, and climbed a tree. Then today I just grabbed 3 wild edge stepps for $50 shipped from Facebook.

So now I'm wondering, do any of you use multiple climbing methods in one setup to maximize your height, or ease of climbing. I'm wondering if it would be beneficial to use a couple of WE steps at ground level to help get my first stick higher, or maybe carry the WE steps to the top to help get a few extra feet.

Anyone else do something similar, or should I just find out which I like better, offload the other, and use aiders with the one I like most?

Might be a matter of packability. Sticks nest well together but I think the aerolites are a little on the heavy side. You could use the WE steps as a platform regardless of your climbing method. Might just have to mess around with all of them and work out a system that you like.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yup, I've used WE Stepps as my first three steps on the tree then three sticks and I've used bolts with the WE Stepps as a platform.

Figure out what you like and why. A lot of it is personal. Sticks and stepps may be awkward to carry as they both are a bit bulky, but nest to mitigate that to various degrees.

Sure, I have mixed and matched climbing methods on a single tree quite a bit. I most often do this on pre-set trees where I want to take the first step or stick out with me each time to make it harder for someone else to use or steal my gear. Other times when my 3 sticks didn’t get me quite as high as I wanted so I add some kind of single step or two at the top. And then other times when I only wanted to carry 2 sticks instead of 3 because of the hike in.

As long as you are comfortable and confident in each piece of gear you are using, mixing climbing methods can have advantages, I think.

Yep I use two full length sticks with moveable aider and one wild edge step. I set my first stick as high as I can reach. I set the WE step just off to the side even with the bottom step. That puts the WE step at 5ft. I climb up the first stick with aider and step on WE step. I remove 1st stick and set it between 6.5 and 7 ft. Climb up and set second stick about same height. Climb up second stick and set platform couple feet higher. That puts me at 20 ft. This may vary some depending on tree.

If I'm using sticks I will often use 3 sticks with aiders and then carry a few cranford rope steps to get me higher if needed.

Back