• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Velvet Seasons

Reagan H.

Vendor Rep
I tried to find a thread on this but didn’t see one. What states have a velvet “season” and if there isn’t one in your state, would you want one? For me growing up in Indiana I never got a crack at one and always wished I could before moving to TN. Are there any drawbacks that can be seen from one besides the skeeters, ticks, chiggers, etc?

I tried to find a thread on this but didn’t see one. What states have a velvet “season” and if there isn’t one in your state, would you want one? For me growing up in Indiana I never got a crack at one and always wished I could before moving to TN. Are there any drawbacks that can be seen from one besides the skeeters, ticks, chiggers, etc?
Also, I’m referring to a weekend bow only buck hunt. Like Tennessee…

TN has that early hunt and the SC season opens really early. Kansas opens early enough to occasionally catch one but I dont think it is common. KY is another that opens early enough to maybe catch one as well.

I always wished Oklahoma would. Dad has planted forage beans to cut for hay at least 10 years. I would be quite confident in killing one of the several mature bucks that use it every year.

I may be wrong, but I believe it to be a little easier to pattern them in that late summer pattern. By the time our archery season opens they are transitioning from summer to fall.

My season here in Maine usually opens around the 9th or 10th of September. That gives me a week or so to try to bag a velvet buck but I have yet to do so.

I'm trying to figure out why some of yalls deer hold velvet so long, especially in northern states. September 1 my bucks are raking it off.

Like @BTaylor says Kansas opens early enough to get one but I've never seen anybody I know personally or locally that has got one. I'm personally can't see the appeal but that's just my opinion.

I think North Dakota does too not 100% on that though!!

Montana,Wyoming, North Dakota, Kentucky, S. Carolina Tennessee according to this quick Google search

Personally ND and Montana have been on my list for awhile.

If u just wanna hunt early u can go hunt south fla July/August....I don't know if that constitutes as a "velvet" season

I love hunting early September, but if 2 identical bucks walked out, one with beautiful pristine velvet, and one hard horned, I'm shooting the hard horned buck. They look so cool fresh out of velvet before all the little bumps and nubs around their bases get rubbed down. That reminds me, I still have a velvet buck skull cap in my freezer from September that I guess I need to do something with...

Some parts of NJ open the second week of September and some bucks are still in velvet then. Would make a great early season hunt in this white tail mecca...

If u just wanna hunt early u can go hunt south fla July/August....I don't know if that constitutes as a "velvet" season
I'll pass unless I can sit on the beach with a margarita and drink coconut milk... I can't imagine hunting in that heat.

Back