• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Venison Confit

River Hunter

This recipe comes from Hank Shaw's Buck Buck Moose. I've made this twice and I have to say this is one of my FAVORITE ways to have venison, and a dynamite way to use a deer shoulder.
The end product has a bit of a ham flavor and is super juicy and tender. My daughter (who is a huge venison fan) said "this is like no deer I've ever eaten."
Put it on a bun, in a tortilla shell and top with some slaw and Hank's mustard BBQ sauce. So. Freakin. Good.

I should note, this is a labor of love. It's gonna take some planning ahead.

First, the brine:
  • 2 quarts water
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup kosher salt
  • 2 teaspoons dried thyme
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 star anise pods
  • 4 garlic cloves - smashed
  • 6 allspice berries
  • 10 juniper berries

Bring all the ingredients to a steaming point so everything is dissolved. Let it come to room temperature and then chill it.
Once it's cold, add your deer shoulder to the brine.
Leave this in the brine for 3 days.

Remove the shoulder from the brine and discard the brine.
Pat dry with a paper towel.
Add the following to a vacuum bag:
  • Deer shoulder
  • 3 sprigs thyme
  • 3 sprigs rosemary
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 cup of lard, unsalted butter, duck fat, or bacon grease (I used bacon grease and it was phenomenal).
Vacuum seal all ingredients.

Put vacuum sealed bag in a sous vide water oven at 150 degrees for 48 hours. Hank's recipe says as long as 24 hours, but I found the extra day did something magical to it.

Remove from the vacuum bag and shred.

Now put the meat on a baking sheet and place under the broiler to give it a little char.

20190829_182345.jpg

Damn! That looks amazing! I absolutely love venison shoulder. Don’t have a sous vide machine but I do make a Dutch oven recipe that’s outstanding. By far my favorite cut.

Emrah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn! That looks amazing! I absolutely love venison shoulder. Don’t have a sous vide machine but I do make a Dutch oven recipe that’s outstanding. By far my favorite cut.

Emrah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a shame that most guys just grind them. If they only knew...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing! I reserve fat whenever possible and freeze it, then use it like cooking oil later. This looks like it’s a good idea when you’re not sure how your eaters feel about venison but you want to do whole cuts and share.

I've always ground them, or done them as bone in roasts. I may have to try this recipe, along with the osso bucco recipe somebody posted a few days ago.

I saved the shoulders and shanks off my first one to try braising them, and making osso bucco. I've always trimmed them out but these guys in here talked me into trying it. We shall see

Made this a couple of weeks ago - it was fantastic. Making it again right now for a Christmas party. Thanks for sharing this recipe! Love having tasty ways to use the shanks.

Whoa. I need to get a sous vide, maybe with my christmas money. Really makes it viable, you just need too much fat to be viable the traditional way.

Back