• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Venison Liver

GCTerpfan

Staff member
SH Member
Pulling the liver from a deer when quartering in the field using the gutless method can be a little tricky so I don't always do it. When I do, I usually do the typical liver and onions dish. I took the time to get the liver out of my doe this Saturday and decided to do something a little different just for a change of pace.

I essentially follow this method for preparation:

The recipe he has at the end of the video looked pretty good. I didn't have the GOYA Sofrito he used so I just add-libbed. I started by tossing the venison in flour seasoned with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. I then cooked down some mushroooms, onions, green peppers and a few bannana peppers until they just started to soften. I added a little marinara sauce we had left over as well as a can of tomato paste.

I cooked it all down for a few minutes, turned up the heat and created a space in the middle of the pan to toss in the liver. I seared it for a few minutes then mixed it all together and covered for about 5 minutes, until the liver cooked through. Liver gets tough when overcooked so don't overdo this step.

In hind sight the final product would have been excellent over spaghetti or rice and will be what I do next time but, it was still pretty good just eating it straight.

IMG_2941.JPG

Sorry for the blurry pic. I had to snap it quick before my son filled his plate with seconds.

Back