• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Venomous Snake Bite - What Would You Do?

LoadedLimbs

SH Member
There are rattlesnakes on the property of my local fish and game club, as well as the state forest public land that abuts it. The population density of snakes isn't large, but there are enough of them that rattlesnake sightings are reported by hunting club members every year.

For the most part, the club members are okay with co-existing with them as opposed to killing them on sight. This may surprise you, when you learn that we stock pheasant throughout the Fall and many members are running bird dogs on the property and keenly aware that their prized bird dogs could be at risk of a bite.

Our local constable is also a club member, and has training on how to capture and relocate venomous snakes when he gets a call from a homeowner in town. All in all, the education process has most of the locals aware that in general, rattlesnakes are not aggressive and as long as you don't mess with them or provoke them, you're not likely to be bitten.

In a recent club meeting, it was noted that there have been a higher number of sightings recently, and one of the members asked the constable if the 24/7 emergency facility in town has a supply of anti-venom. After some diligent followup, an email was distributed to the membership that informed everyone that there is NO rattlesnake anti-venom at the local emergency facility. Further - they checked with the shoreline clinic, and there's none in stock there either. They determined that there's just one dose in-stock at a hospital that's about 45 minutes away, so they're attempting to obtain a small supply for our emergency facility in town. The anti-venom is extremely expensive - apparently around $2,500/dose, and multiple doses are typically needed to treat a single heavy "wet" bite.

In my state, only level one trauma centers carry the anti-venom Crofab - and none carry enough to thoroughly treat a “wet” bite. The last bite victim made it to Hartford Hospital in record time for initial doses, and additional doses were brought in from two other hospitals across the state.

This is what a patient with a bite to the left hand looked like:

image001.jpg

All of this got me thinking that I don't carry a snake bite kit into the field, and I started to look online at the Sawyer snake bite kit. I read a review from someone claiming to be a snake expert that said the Sawyer snake bite kit is completely ineffective. That got me researching the effectiveness of snake bite kits online, and I'm glad I did, because the consensus seems to be that the suction methods for venom removal are useless, and in some cases, can cause more harm. I'm sharing the links below since most of us have just started our Fall hunting activities. This information is important for folks to know if they share the woods with venomous snakes - most of the protocol flies in the face of what I learned in the Boy Scouts 40 years ago:

Link #1: The truth about commercial snake bite venom extractors
Link #2: How to survive a venomous snake bite in the wilderness
Link #3: Are baby rattlesnakes really more dangerous than adults?

Last edited:
The last snake bite I saw was from a copperhead, it was wet and the patient was sent home with antibiotics and anti inflammatory meds. I saw her later and she has had no lasting effects at all. Most hospitals don’t stock anti venom but you’d be amazed at how fast it can obtained when needed.

What @Nutterbuster said. That’s how I used to train my Marines. suction is useless as is trying to cut and squeeze the venom out. If on an extremity do not tourniquet, only light pressure. One thing about rattlesnakes and copperheads they are ambush predators and many times will let you pass by without incident. Also, most species of rattlesnakes and copperheads aren’t aggressive unless you mess with them so don’t poke em with a stick

Last edited:
Easy to say sitting here at the house but.....I'd ID the snake, inspect the bite area, stay calm and try to keep low heart rate, based on if I was envenomated or not make the emergency call, elevate the bite if I don't think I should start walking back toward the truck....

I've seen hundreds of venomous snakes and only ever been struck at when I was messing with the snake....nonvenomous snakes are the biters

Plenty and I mean plenty of rattlesnakes in my part of the world and no they generally are not to aggressive but that dont mean he wont bite you if you step on him and that is generally what happens It is thick early season and people get on em before they see em I assure you that every one i run across will not bit anyone

If I got bit, I'd call 911 and go from there. Brace for a lot of pain and a big bill by the time it all shook out.

About all you can do to my understanding. Stay calm, keep your blood pressure down, and get the antevenom ASAP. Lethality is super low even without it.

yep, worst thing you could do is panic and take off running

i'd hit my satellite rescue beacon or call someone if i had cell service....drop all my gear except my bow and pistol and emergency gear i might need and can fit in my pockets...and then calmly walk to my vehicle or whatever meeting point i setup with first responders

I hate to take it to the extreme but between the upside down death and this thread I'm about to go buy an inreach mini because I hunt alone 100% of the time (if anyone wants to change that... I'm in Maryland lol) and in a few places where I don't get a cell signal. Calling for help and sitting down to try to do some diy meditation seems like it's the best thing to do I got pretty close to what I think was a copperhead scouting this year too.

Plenty and I mean plenty of rattlesnakes in my part of the world and no they generally are not to aggressive but that dont mean he wont bite you if you step on him and that is generally what happens It is thick early season and people get on em before they see em I assure you that every one i run across will not bit anyone

I’ve come to the conclusion that I can coexist with the rattlesnakes on the hunting club property and nearby state forest. I live only about 1 mile away, but I’ve never seen one on my property - and I have a few acres of woods that comprises my backyard. If I found one on my own property, I’d ask the Constable to relocate it, but I wouldn’t kill it on sight unless there were circumstances that made it unacceptable to wait for a professional to relocate the snake. (Not sure what those circumstances would be, but I’m open to the possibility that a situation might call for quickly dispatching one rather than waiting for response to a call.)

I’ve not yet had a snakebite patient, but what little I’ve read on the matter is to not try to evacuate the venom, and do not place a tourniquet. Do not apply ice either. Keep the extremity still and relaxed and in a low hanging position. Maybe consider splinting the extremity so as to keep it immobilized. Movement makes blood and lymph flow.

Semper Fi,
Mike

I hate to take it to the extreme but between the upside down death and this thread I'm about to go buy an inreach mini because I hunt alone 100% of the time (if anyone wants to change that... I'm in Maryland lol) and in a few places where I don't get a cell signal. Calling for help and sitting down to try to do some diy meditation seems like it's the best thing to do I got pretty close to what I think was a copperhead scouting this year too.

I’ve thought about that too - but it’s expensive for the device and the subscription for even the most basic service is about $150/year, currently. In my case, I have cell service in most of the places that I hunt in my home state. On my out of state hunts, that’s not always the case.

I also hunt by myself most of the time, and I’m walking in & out of the woods in the dark most of the time that I’m in transit to or from my deer hunting locations. Accidentally stepping on a rattlesnake has crossed my mind when going through the woods in the dark - especially when I’m stepping over deadfall trees, boulders, or old logs.

I have to look at formularies (entire pharmaceutical list) for hospitals for work. It is crazy to me how many of them do not have crofab.
The CEO at a rural hospital I work with makes his pharmacist keep a good bit of crofab on hand. It is extremely expensive and they rarely use it.
He is a big outdoorsman. Coincidence? I think not. I don’t blame him either.

Easy to say sitting here at the house but.....I'd ID the snake, inspect the bite area, stay calm and try to keep low heart rate, based on if I was envenomated or not make the emergency call, elevate the bite if I don't think I should start walking back toward the truck....

I've seen hundreds of venomous snakes and only ever been struck at when I was messing with the snake....nonvenomous snakes are the biters

@Weldabeast - I don’t think there’s any way a person can stay very calm and focus on keeping their heart rate from racing if they’re alone in the woods or swamp and they have just suffered a venomous snake bite. I think that would be a huge challenge (At least for me - but maybe others could pull that off).

I’m curious why you would elevate the bite - the recommended protocol is to minimize movement and to keep limbs in a neutral position. Wouldn’t you be concerned that elevating the bitten limb would hasten the return of blood (and venom) to your heart?

yep, worst thing you could do is panic and take off running

i'd hit my satellite rescue beacon or call someone if i had cell service....drop all my gear except my bow and pistol and emergency gear i might need and can fit in my pockets...and then calmly walk to my vehicle or whatever meeting point i setup with first responders

@raisins - I think dropping all your gear except your weapon & emergency gear is excellent advice! No need to exert yourself any harder than absolutely required to get to a rendezvous point (if help is enroute) or your vehicle (if help can’t be reached).

Back