• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Versa Buttons on Hawks

Blacksmith

SH Member
Is anyone shortening their versa button for 8mm rope? It seems like not tight enough fit. Maybe it doesn't matter because someone was using the strap rather than rope. Just not sure it matters since the tag is under the main line? I've used it at ground ht. w/no issues but that's not comepletely reassuring!!

I don’t use the rope mod, but it seems like it wouldn’t matter if it wasn’t perfectly tight as long as you’re doing your half hitches correctly. But shortening them wouldn’t matter either.

I've been using the button as they came with 1/4" amsteel without any issues.

Is anyone shortening their versa button for 8mm rope? It seems like not tight enough fit. Maybe it doesn't matter because someone was using the strap rather than rope. Just not sure it matters since the tag is under the main line? I've used it at ground ht. w/no issues but that's not comepletely reassuring!!

If you want to fit your button to your rope.....

The versbutton hole should take either a metric M6 (6 mm) or 0.25 inch bolt (use grade 8 for "american" units or 10.9 for metric, these are high strength). You can make a spacer out of 3/8" outside diameter copper pipe (inside diameter will fit these bolt sizes) and make the end button out of a fender washer. If you go this route then you can adjust the length of the spacer until you get it perfect. Just use a circular rotating pipe cutter like people use to cut aluminum arrows.

Back