• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Video of guy falling on rope with meter

So found this interesting. He drops him self a few feet on a solid anchor.. kinda like saddle hunting. If you put a few feet of slack in your system. Language is ruff. R rating. But worth the watch on what kinda force he is getting..
Great video! It’s also worth mentioning he did this on dynamic rope, if you’re using static rope, your force will be considerably higher than his. As he gets closer to the anchor with shorter rope, it has less room to stretch and his force increases (this is the reasoning fall factor is a consideration).

One thing I noticed at the end, was he tied his chest in for those short drops. Looks like a piece of rope to keep his upper torso from kicking back.

One thing I noticed at the end, was he tied his chest in for those short drops. Looks like a piece of rope to keep his upper torso from kicking back.
They make rock climbing suspenders for that as well. They don’t help with shock like a full body harness but they absolutely keep you upright in the event of a fall. Any snap backwards would be jarring or worst once you get larger fall factors. I can’t recall without watching again but all his falls were from under his anchor correct?

They make rock climbing suspenders for that as well. They don’t help with shock like a full body harness but they absolutely keep you upright in the event of a fall. Any snap backwards would be jarring or worst once you get larger fall factors. I can’t recall without watching again but all his falls were from under his anchor correct?
Yeah. I think he has two anchors on a sling. Then released the one anchor so he fell onto the one anchor. I believe he said it was about 2' fall.

Yeah. I think he has two anchors on a sling. Then released the one anchor so he fell onto the one anchor. I believe he said it was about 2' fall.
Awesome thanks again for the video. Many people are visual and it helps for them to visually see the forces falls can generate. Our use is definitely different that rock climbing but videos like these definitely help the visual learners understand that even minimum falls generate a lot of force. Thanks MattMan!

That guy is building a drop tower. Interested to see what kind of gear he tests and results. Who’s in for sending him some common saddle gear to test? Lol

I actually email him. His web site said he tries to respond to people.
Tried to explain what was going on in the saddle hunting community. Forces of drops and such. See if he could offer some insight or maybe even run a quick drop on a saddle hunter type fall. Anyone who cuts them self free intentional on a 600' rock wall has my attention. Hope to hear something back from him.

Great video! It’s also worth mentioning he did this on dynamic rope, if you’re using static rope, your force will be considerably higher than his. As he gets closer to the anchor with shorter rope, it has less room to stretch and his force increases (this is the reasoning fall factor is a consideration).
He uses a static dyneema sling at the end and the difference wasn’t significant in short drops (few feet).

I actually email him. His web site said he tries to respond to people.
Tried to explain what was going on in the saddle hunting community. Forces of drops and such. See if he could offer some insight or maybe even run a quick drop on a saddle hunter type fall. Anyone who cuts them self free intentional on a 600' rock wall has my attention. Hope to hear something back from him.
I am restricted from things with this vendor tag lol but I can tell you that a 220 lbs dummy dropped on 1.5:1 (ish) fall factor using a static line free fall of 3.5 to 4’ will generate more than 1100 lbs of force. Depending on the material your saddle is made of and the type of rope used, those forces could go up as high as 1800 and as low as 900 for that same fall. None of those numbers make me ever want to fall in a saddle lol

Last edited:
I am restricted from things with this vendor tag lol but I can tell you that a 220 lbs dummy dropped on 1.5:1 (ish) fall factor using a static line free fall of 3.5 4’ will generate more than 1100 lbs of force. Depending on the material your saddle is made of and the type of rope used, those forces could go up as high as 1800 and as low as 900 for that same fall. None of those numbers make me ever want to fall in a saddle lol
I don't think anyone is out there looking to take a fall.
I wonder if it's better to know what you can take, or better to think it can still be bad, and hope for the best.
For me personally. If I know I can fall 1' and be okay. I may become to relaxed. Take more chances.
If I climb and operate with the assumption a fall can really mess me up. I will spend a few more minutes to minimize that potential as much as I can.

He uses a static dyneema sling at the end and the difference wasn’t significant in short drops (few feet).
Yes he did connect directly to the dyneema sling and he generated 2.3 kN which is roughly 500 lbs of force and his fall was still less than a 1:1 fall. If he had been at or above his anchor point the fall force generated would have been higher. As it stands I believe they said it was roughly a 2.1kN on the dynamic rope and 2.34kN on the dyneema sling. That’s only about 65 to 70 lbs difference. If he had been above the anchor the difference would have been higher. Also worth noting, He was also holding onto the slings and the rope as he fell which means his arms were relieving some of that force (maybe only 30 or 40 lbs, or maybe over 100 lbs because of adrenaline) we don’t know how much of a difference any of that made. We react differently when we anticipate a fall verses a surprise fall where we weren’t prepared, but we definitely know that little fall below the anchor of less than or roughly 2’ produced 500 lbs of force minimum. Lol that’s enough for me to not want to fall

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is out there looking to take a fall.
I wonder if it's better to know what you can take, or better to think it can still be bad, and hope for the best.
For me personally. If I know I can fall 1' and be okay. I may become to relaxed. Take more chances.
If I climb and operate with the assumption a fall can really mess me up. I will spend a few more minutes to minimize that potential as much as I can.
I agree 100%. Everyone’s body is different and the factors surrounding falls are different too. I picture it like this, I can’t take any fall.
So I think you’re right. Just stick to the assumption that any fall will hurt you badly and climb safely, like your life depends on it.

I did hear back from him. Told him about the discussion on here about how much force we are exposed to, but no real verification. He said he will look into it some. Didn't promise anything. But will see. Make sure you liked his video and stuff.
You’re doing better than me, almost two weeks have gone by and Yates hasn’t replied to me about the screamer question lol…

Zero relation to saddle hunting unless you’re dumb enough to run your tether below your waste or something. Even such he only generated around a tad less than 2kN when most gear saddle hunters use is rated for 21kN.

My tether is always high and tight as yours should be. My platform could totally collapse and the worst that would happen is a fall against the tree with ZERO actual drop.

Last edited:
Back