• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Video of rope stress with a ropman 1 and kong duck

onestringer

SH Member
Got bored yesterday and decided to do some shock loading on some ropes using a kong duck, ropeman 1, and some prusik cord. I am not giving any advice or recommendations just merely my observations in a very non scientific test. Like I said I was bored yesterday evening and since DanO is now selling oplux by the foot I no longer have to buy 100 ft at a time. In all of the tests only the rope sheath was damaged, I did not see any damage to the inner core.

Got bored yesterday and decided to do some shock loading on some ropes using a kong duck, ropeman 1, and some prusik cord. I am not giving any advice or recommendations just merely my observations in a very non scientific test. Like I said I was bored yesterday evening and since DanO is now selling oplux by the foot I no longer have to buy 100 ft at a time. In all of the tests only the rope sheath was damaged, I did not see any damage to the inner core.

well that pretty much shows why I love a friction knot...and there is rally no reason to back it up other than a stopper knot.

And I"ll deal with a little car damage when my boys or older if it means theres a time I get to say " I really dont have anything to do"...

well that pretty much shows why I love a friction knot...and there is rally no reason to back it up other than a stopper knot.

And I"ll deal with a little car damage when my boys or older if it means theres a time I get to say " I really dont have anything to do"...
Like your demo test...couple of guys on YT suggesting the ropeman 1 is not safe and that they prefer to use a prusik. I suspect the load would have to be from an extreme drop to cause such damage. I believe most SH are pretty much tethered to a tree in such a way that a foot drop would not cause this type damage. In any event well done thanks for taking the time to damage some GooD Rope

Sooo a ropeman, Kong or Prussic is perfectly safe for all of us! Cool test, next time maybe drive it off a cliff and see what happens. Lol. Use a winch to pull you back up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good test. Thanks for sharing. Was I seeing right that the Ropeman and Kong Duck slipped slightly under the shock load? If that is the case it is possible that the slip might soften the blow of the drop somewhat.

Back