• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Vintage "Crotch" Treestands

robertreed711

Wasn't sure where else to post this but I know some of you guys are well versed in vintage hunting gear so I figured I'd give this a shot.

A buddy of mine has an old tree stand that folds and is meant to be pushed into a crotch of a split tree. It's basically a metal door hinge with spikes and a bowtie shaped wooden platform on top. He had it in what I believe to be an original zippered camo bag and also paperwork that went along with it.

So anyway, I'm trying to look it up but for the life of me I can't remember the name that was on the paperwork. Anybody have any clue what it might be based on the description?

Thanks!

Last edited:
There have been several manufacturers of that type of stand. It was a great idea that never really worked that well. You always had to place the stand at the height it would fit, not the height you wanted to hunt at. Some were adjustable to fit various widths. I think I've got two of them and never used them. I think they kind of went into the scrap bin of history.

The one I'm thinking of is actually much smaller, probably 12-15" long and 3" wide at the narrowest point.
Cool! I"d love to see pictures. I actually like using them-- @ricky racer is right that they can be finicky, but they are AWESOME for apple trees on the farm which have lots of "v" spots 8-10ft off the ground and create some decent natural cover.

@ricky racer are the ones you have like the ones I posted, or do you have a smaller version?

Cool! I"d love to see pictures. I actually like using them-- @ricky racer is right that they can be finicky, but they are AWESOME for apple trees on the farm which have lots of "v" spots 8-10ft off the ground and create some decent natural cover.

@ricky racer are the ones you have like the ones I posted, or do you have a smaller version?

I've got one like this one and I'm pretty sure I have a different one but not like in the other pictures.

index.php

Last edited:
I've got one like this one and I'm pretty sure I have a different on but not like in the other pictures.

index.php
I have this same exact one. I do use it from time to time. I also have one made with tubing and expanded metal. An all aluminum one would be awesome!

I've got one like this one and I'm pretty sure I have a different on but not like in the other pictures.

index.php
Thanks @ricky racer . I'd love to see a pick of the other one you have if it was convenient sometime. I"v ebeen looking for a comercially built one that was smaller and still folded all the way in half. Most of the smaller ones I"ve seen(and the bear creek I have) dont fold totally flat and in half.

Paul Brunner actually sent me an original screaming eagle wedge stand a few months ago - haven't used it yet but sure plan on it.

TreeHopper is supposed to be releasing one this month. I’ve got a perfect tree or several to use it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks @ricky racer . I'd love to see a pick of the other one you have if it was convenient sometime. I"v ebeen looking for a comercially built one that was smaller and still folded all the way in half. Most of the smaller ones I"ve seen(and the bear creek I have) dont fold totally flat and in half.
I dug around and only found the Rivers Edge platform. I think I purchased that probably 30 years ago. I'll keep my eyes open to see if I can find the other one.

I dug around and only found the Rivers Edge platform. I think I purchased that probably 30 years ago. I'll keep my eyes open to see if I can find the other one.
Thanks man, appreciate it! They really are useful in the apple trees and huge oaks on the farm.

I know it is a long shot but you wouldn't want to sell one by chance?

Back