• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Vintage Singer/ Novice Seamstress

SETXsportsman6

Today I scored what I believe is a Singer 15-91? From the sewing resources post as well as some YouTube videos that's the conclusion that I've came to. I know absolutely nothing about sewing, other than what I've learned on YouTube over the past few days and from watching videos of saddle builds on here. @always89y's video of his recent build was the one that really got me into the idea.

Anywho, I picked up the machine today. Finally learned how to thread it tonight browsing youtube. I'm obviously not jumping straight into building something that I trust my life to but I was thinking of doing something simple to start and expand from there. My thought was a back band to begin with, then maybe shoot for a few other small projects before diving into something bigger. If anyone has any tips, or suggestions from machine care, suggestions for sites to get materials, to ideas for starter DIY projects I'm all ears. Thanks!
3d809953447ee4af29d6c0b87a318a81.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Enjoy man! Check out the “sharing back band ideas” thread in DIY to see what people have been up to. Enjoy your slippery slope

Another good idea to learn some skills is to build some dump pouches. Even if you don’t end up using them for your saddle, I store all kinds of stuff in the ones I made including extra webbing and sewing materials

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another good idea to learn some skills is to build some dump pouches. Even if you don’t end up using them for your saddle, I store all kinds of stuff in the ones I made including extra webbing and sewing materials

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks man! Good idea!

Today I scored what I believe is a Singer 15-91? From the sewing resources post as well as some YouTube videos that's the conclusion that I've came to. I know absolutely nothing about sewing, other than what I've learned on YouTube over the past few days and from watching videos of saddle builds on here. @always89y's video of his recent build was the one that really got me into the idea.

Anywho, I picked up the machine today. Finally learned how to thread it tonight browsing youtube. I'm obviously not jumping straight into building something that I trust my life to but I was thinking of doing something simple to start and expand from there. My thought was a back band to begin with, then maybe shoot for a few other small projects before diving into something bigger. If anyone has any tips, or suggestions from machine care, suggestions for sites to get materials, to ideas for starter DIY projects I'm all ears. Thanks!
3d809953447ee4af29d6c0b87a318a81.jpg

That looks like a 15-91 with the tension dial on the left side and the potted gear driven motor on the back. The 15-91 is the best home machine I've used for sewing thick webbing. Size 20 needle and V92 polyester thread work well and should have a break point of 22 lbs per stitch. Kevlar should have a break point of 45 lbs per stitch. Oil it top and bottom and grease the gears and you should be GTG. Make sure you read the Sewing Resources Thread on Saddlehunter. Repair all your jeans, shirts and socks for practice. Guttermans upholstery thread available at Joanns fabrics is V69 size and works well with a size 18 needle.

That looks like a 15-91 with the tension dial on the left side and the potted gear driven motor on the back. The 15-91 is the best home machine I've used for sewing thick webbing. Size 20 needle and V92 polyester thread work well and should have a break point of 22 lbs per stitch. Kevlar should have a break point of 45 lbs per stitch. Oil it top and bottom and grease the gears and you should be GTG. Make sure you read the Sewing Resources Thread on Saddlehunter. Repair all your jeans, shirts and socks for practice. Guttermans upholstery thread available at Joanns fabrics is V69 size and works well with a size 18 needle.

Thanks for the info. I got a lot of thread with it from the previous saddle hunting owner of the machine . I know there were a few guttermans Tera spools in there.

anyone looking for model and year a particular singer was built, you can find here in this link if you have the SN#:

Picking up my 15-91 this sat. :)

Back