• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Viper Base as a platform

Matt Allred

Hello,
New to this saddle thing but i am hooked.

I got plan for everything except for a platform. I currently have a summit viper climber and was thinking i could use the bottom as a platform.

What do you think?

A hybrid saddle/treestand setup works very well for me. On here I get a sense there is sort of a tribalism associated with being different than treestand hunters. But with platform options that are basically mini-treestands becoming commercially available, it has made saddle hunting so much more reasonable and accessible. Larger platforms have many obvious benefits and I think as saddle hunting continues to grow many will find that is a great option to pair with a saddle. Best of both worlds.

With the Summit platform specifically, I would just use a cambuckle strap to secure it to the tree, otherwise as you put side pressure on it while maneuvering for shots, it will kick out on you.

A hybrid saddle/treestand setup works very well for me. On here I get a sense there is sort of a tribalism associated with being different than treestand hunters. But with platform options that are basically mini-treestands becoming commercially available, it has made saddle hunting so much more reasonable and accessible. Larger platforms have many obvious benefits and I think as saddle hunting continues to grow many will find that is a great option to pair with a saddle. Best of both worlds.

With the Summit platform specifically, I would just use a cambuckle strap to secure it to the tree, otherwise as you put side pressure on it while maneuvering for shots, it will kick out on you.

That's a great point. I've had it kick out a little while using the whole climber. Thank you.

Part of the appeal of using a saddle is you cut weight and size (aka "profile" or "volume") of the stuff you haul into the woods. Using the bottom of a Summit Viper you won't be reducing the size of stuff you carry too much. It's big, heavy, and makes noise when you hike it through the thick stuff.

Different idea: sell the Viper, buy a Lone Wolf or XOP hand climber seat, use that as your platform.

Part of the appeal of using a saddle is you cut weight and size (aka "profile" or "volume") of the stuff you haul into the woods. Using the bottom of a Summit Viper you won't be reducing the size of stuff you carry too much. It's big, heavy, and makes noise when you hike it through the thick stuff.

Different idea: sell the Viper, buy a Lone Wolf or XOP hand climber seat, use that as your platform.

Piling on here for "profile" - if I had discovered the Chippewa stands that are only 14" wide before I found slings, I may have still not switched. All I needed was something narrower than my shoulders. I got so tired of getting hung up in brush and branches raking across metal stands.

It will probably work for you, but the weight of all the rest of your saddle gear is the same as the top section, and you're already a square peg walking out into the round hole woods - may as well bring the top.

There is definite tribalism going on here, of that there's no doubt. But that fact, and the fact that there's ten different reasonable options for saddle/platforms for less than what you can likely sell the stand for, are not mutually exclusive.

Piling on here for "profile" - if I had discovered the Chippewa stands that are only 14" wide before I found slings, I may have still not switched. All I needed was something narrower than my shoulders. I got so tired of getting hung up in brush and branches raking across metal stands.

It will probably work for you, but the weight of all the rest of your saddle gear is the same as the top section, and you're already a square peg walking out into the round hole woods - may as well bring the top.

There is definite tribalism going on here, of that there's no doubt. But that fact, and the fact that there's ten different reasonable options for saddle/platforms for less than what you can likely sell the stand for, are not mutually exclusive.

didn’t even think of profile while walking into the woods. thank you

You might as well take the top with you to climb with at that point. I still use my lone wolf climber sometimes with my saddle but that’s not for long walks or run and gun.

I used my viper base a couple of times, basically to prove the theory to myself.

Like the others said, the base is bulky which is why i wanted to get away from the climber anyway.

I found being closer to the tree in a saddle made the base harder to climb with because the front was hitting me in the butt as I went up or down which means smaller climbing increments ect.

I bought an XOP hand climber top and its much better but moving the tether with each increment takes some time and i found myself not climbing as high..

Back