• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Virginia and Climbing Spurs

SemperFlightMedic

I’ve read through the Virginia hunting rega and can’t find anything that says a hunter cannot use climbing spurs on public lands. The only thing I can find pertains to hanging permanent stands. Does anyone know with certainty what the rules are for this? Any printed references?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can tell you with certainty that the use of climbing spurs without permit is ILLEGAL on National Forest System Lands. It will come down to officer discretion if caught.

I can tell you with certainty that the use of climbing spurs without permit is ILLEGAL on National Forest System Lands. It will come down to officer discretion if caught.

Awesome! Thanks!

I believe you got some bad information. The DGIF has seperate regulations than Nat Forests. The NF has its own rules and regs. Climbing spikes can be considered resource damage. Whether the LEO or FPO writes the violation notice is up to them but you can get a VN for using them

I never looked I never asked i just used them.starting about 11 years ago. Most wardens ain't gonna find me in a tree and they ain't gonna care how im.hurting long as I got my license

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

From the National Forest Website. Then below that is from the VDGIF site. I believe this says they are allowed. "The examples of resource damage does not include spurs in the context of portable stands" <- My Opinion.

Forest Website:

Portable tree stands are permitted as long as they are not affixed and do not cause resource damage - i.e., cutting limbs, placing nails or bolts into trees is prohibited.
Hunting activities on National Forest land in Virginia are regulated by the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (VDGIF). For licensing information, visit the VDGIF License and Access Permit information page. For hunting regulations and detailed game unit information, visit the VDGIF Public Hunting Lands page.

VDGIF site:
Tree Stands
  • It is unlawful to construct, maintain, or occupy any permanent tree stand on Department-owned lands, National Forest lands, and on Department of Conservation and Recreation-owned or controlled lands. Portable tree stands, which are not permanently affixed, may be used. Use of a full body safety harness while hunting
    from tree stands is strongly recommended.

Good info. This has to be looked at in a broader sense other than just a hunting scenario. All forests have regs against resource damage. Anything that can be reasonable shown to cause resource damage is illegal. It doesnt matter if its hunting gear from a respectful saddle hunter or the out of control boyscout with a hatchet at campsite 4.

Good info. This has to be looked at in a broader sense other than just a hunting scenario. All forests have regs against resource damage. Anything that can be reasonable shown to cause resource damage is illegal. It doesnt matter if its hunting gear from a respectful saddle hunter or the out of control boyscout with a hatchet at campsite 4.

While I don’t disagree, one could argue that walking through the forest and stepping on small brush is resource damage. The “common person’s understanding” is that climbing spurs are an acceptable method. This was clearly stated from DGIF.

Trust me I know, I want to talk myself into thinking spurs are completely legal and acceptable on National Forest System Lands but they damage timber. What a guy from VDGIF says in this instance doesnt matter. I know they have jurisdiction on NF using revised statues (I believe is what they are called) but if the WMA falls on Nat For. The federal government has their own rules. However, often times our FS LEO will call Game and Fish because their fines are usually higher. Just know that it is probably rare and will never happen, but you can get a “ticket” for using spurs that damage timber products period.

I looked at all the activity sections and none, other than what I posted from the hunting section mentioned anything about resource damage. I even looked at the metal detecting and mineral sections. Not saying it does not exist but they have not made it obvious.

Ya that book might as well be in the shredder as far a Nat For regs go. That book is published by the State Game and Fish Departments. You have to go to the source for the land you are hunting and I dont mean call the sweet lady at the ranger station. Look on your national forest specific website and dig into the prohibitions.

Ya that book might as well be in the shredder as far a Nat For regs go. That book is published by the State Game and Fish Departments. You have to go to the source for the land you are hunting and I dont mean call the sweet lady at the ranger station. Look on your national forest specific website and dig into the prohibitions.

I went to the National Forest website, not the VDGIF book.

36 CFR 261.6(a)

https://www.fs.fed.us/lei/forest-rules.php[/ Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By that definition, one can not use any treestand on a national forest tree. A treestand will damage the bark. I appreciate your attention for explicit authorization, but I think you might be looking too hard to find something that isn’t there. But I do appreciate your input.

You do what you will I just want people to know that spurs are illegal on Nat Forests because they put holes in timber products that have value. Tree stands dont puncture holes in trees. These holes make trees prone to insect and disease. I am telling you this based on my training and experience. Will you get caught? I honestly doubt it, will you get a VN? Depends on the LEO. Good luck this year hunting however method

But where does it say it’s “illegal”? When talking about hunting methods, and tree climbing, other means are explicitly stated as prohibited. Climbing spurs are not. Other hunting regulations are deferred to VDGIF, and VDGIF says it is an acceptable means.

Back