• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Virtue Signaling

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Just agreed to take a coworker who's never deer hunted before up to "my" WMA this season. Got his number, texted him the link to the DCNR website so he could buy his licenses, and arranged a time to swing by the range to "site in" the gun he's borrowing from me.

I havent taken as many guys as I probably should have over the years (hate babysitting), but I have taken at least one new guy every year since I was still in college. Some of them just mark it off the bucket list and move on, and a couple have gone whole hog.

YouTube videos, books, and forums help if you're new, but it's hard to get that first hint or two under your belt without a mentor.

Take a "kid" hunting this year.

That’s awesome. I’m likely gonna mentor my daughter’s boyfriend this year. He’s never hunted but has always wanted to. Great thing is, he can use her deer rifle. LOL. He is a little nervous though because I’m DAD!!!
Sigh...

I'm probably going to end up taking my baby sister's fiance out this year. He's a good kid, but still... He's also roughly the size of a tanker truck. 6'8" and far from a beanpole. Not sure how I'm gonna fit him in the canoe, much less the windwalker! ;)

Maybe the deer will mistake him for a small hill?

Sigh...

I'm probably going to end up taking my baby sister's fiance out this year. He's a good kid, but still... He's also roughly the size of a tanker truck. 6'8" and far from a beanpole. Not sure how I'm gonna fit him in the canoe, much less the windwalker! ;)

Maybe he can borrow your father's Summit--and you can tow him in your jon behind your canoe?:eek:

I never had a family member that hunted. My parents did always take me hiking ,camping and my father took me shooting from a young age. I grew up wanting to hunt but never had anyone to take/teach me. Finally after years of wanting to i decided to stop waiting for someone to teach/take me hunting i bought a license and jumped in head first. It took me 1-2 years to figure out the quota system. Since i grew up enjoying the woods i thought it would be easy to transition into hunting.... I found out real quick hiking and hunting are two totally different things. Without someone to teach you its very hard for a newbie to even get involved in hunting let alone hunting public land with all the rules. The hunters education course that i thought may teach you the basics fell very short. It's almost embarrassing to think back to the first year or two of my hunting but i guess you gotta start somewhere. I have two kids that I'm starting to teach the woods and the critters. Iknow that they dont appreciate it now but hopefully when they're older they will show the old man a little love

Sigh...

Large life vest and float him behind the canoe by a tether!

Nice. My oldest daughter got her apprentice license this year. Didn't get a lot of time on turkeys but enough for her to be hooked. I will be taking her out for deer this year. She's been before but she can get her own this year. For me seeing the sheer excitement on new hunters faces is right up there with getting your own.

kudos - been interesting to hear W2H podcasts talk bout how youth hunts don't help hunter recruitment - they'd be getting the exposure opportunity typically anyway. Its the adult non-hunter that we need to recruit - esp in females / minorities.
Yeah - they'd be getting the exposure...or they lack the means to continue independently.

Been bow hunting with my grandson since he was 12 (now16) it has been a trip, best hunting for me ever. Too long of a story but watching him at 12 yrs old from another tree stand trying to get a shot on a nice 6 pt. was the funniest thing I have seen hunting.

Ill be taking my old college roommate hunting this fall for the first time. We played football together and he was a starting guard. Since then he and his wife have gotten really healthy minded, he’s lost about 70 lbs and they are looking for a healthy and sustainable source of protein. I’m really excited for him and hope that I’ve catches the bug!

I agree with @Guff Dawg. As a thirty something who decided to chase whitetails for the first time last season, having a mentor from the start would have been incredible. Lot's of great info here, the Beast, books and DVDs but nothing beats first hand knowledge. On my own in MA, I managed to see two does total on about ten sits, so I know I'm doing something wrong! Continuing to learn all I can to make each season a little better than the last. Despite my lack of success, I'm hooked and can't wait for October!

Since I've started hunting ill ask all my friends who haven't gone before too go with me and they always show interest and say they will but they'll always come up with some reason they can't go. I think it boils down to laziness and not wanting to get out of their comfort zone. If it was easy everybody would do it

Back