• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Vortex Crossfire II, Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28, FL Gear

SETXsportsman6

Just made a few purchases. Really trying to acquire some better gear prior to season this year.

Recent purchases
-Vortex Crossfire II 10x42
-Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28
- Vortex Bino Harness
- First lite Corrugate Guide Pants
- First lite wick short sleeve crew plus a few other minor items.

I went a little cheaper on the Binos, most of the areas I hunt won't require them, so I couldn't justify paying top of the line. However the Crossfire II 10x42 came with great reviews so I pulled the trigger.

Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28, was torn between the Pop up and the cabinet. Went with the Pop up because it seemed like the load lifters would go higher and with me being pretty tall I didn't want to chance having too short of load lifters on the cabinet.

-First lite gear, this is my first premium hunting clothing purchase. Always worm cheap stuff. Bought some early season stuff mainly to be able to get a feel for the quality of it while scouting and early season hunts. If I really like the stuff I will start adding other layers to the wardrobe with the intent of having a full system by end of October when I go out of state.

If anyone has any comments, reviews, tips etc relating to any of the gear listed id appreciate any feedback you have to offer!

Just a side note, even though the crossfires are a relatively cheap bino, they're a major upgrade from the pocket sized pair I've been using that are pretty worthless.

I almost have every piece of gear from First Lite minus a couple things, so I can add some advice on certain pieces as you debate which gear is applicable, worth it, sizing, etc. what’s your height and weight? If you don’t mind me asking.

I almost have every piece of gear from First Lite minus a couple things, so I can add some advice on certain pieces as you debate which gear is applicable, worth it, sizing, etc. what’s your height and weight? If you don’t mind me asking.
Right now I'm 6'4 302 and steadily losing. Been doing keto for a month and hiking to get my fat ass into better shape but I'm down 45 lbs from where I was last November. My waist right now is 40" 34 length. I can't speak for chest gut measurements. I'm pretty broad chested though even at 6'4". Most people looking at me never knew I weighed anywhere close to 350. My goal is 270 by deer season and 250 if final goal weight. I don't expect the gear I bought to fit great at the moment and that's the point I guess. More of a inspiration technique.

Nice! Great plan! Well I can’t help with the sizing aspects of your purchase, but for starters, you will LOVE the corrugated guide pants...they are so comfortable...for a saddle hunter who uses sticks, they’re particularly awesome because they allow for a full stretch when climbing which is great. I like to stretch my step length a bit, especially in the early season (when you will be wearing these presumably) and having a material that stretches 4 ways is great to have. You’ll want to wear them around town all the time because they are night and day more comfortable than your favorite pair of jeans lol and also, they’re way tougher than you think when you first get them. They seem pretty thin and you’ll worry about ripping them when you go into the woods...don’t worry. They are much tougher that’s they appear. Great first choice in FL gear.

Nice! Great plan! Well I can’t help with the sizing aspects of your purchase, but for starters, you will LOVE the corrugated guide pants...they are so comfortable...for a saddle hunter who uses sticks, they’re particularly awesome because they allow for a full stretch when climbing which is great. I like to stretch my step length a bit, especially in the early season (when you will be wearing these presumably) and having a material that stretches 4 ways is great to have. You’ll want to wear them around town all the time because they are night and day more comfortable than your favorite pair of jeans lol and also, they’re way tougher than you think when you first get them. They seem pretty thin and you’ll worry about ripping them when you go into the woods...don’t worry. They are much tougher that’s they appear. Great first choice in FL gear.
Do you have any reccomendations for layering? My late season layering (which in East Texas high 20s is the coldest we see) previously consisted of long johns jeans bibs jacket and a Mr. Buddy heater. Lol.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Haha, you sound like my old man. That’s about all he wears and makes fun of me and he’ll never admit he gets cold but I know he does lol

as a bigger guy I’m sure you run warm anyway (correct me if I’m wrong) but for baselayers, if you run the kiln 250 hoodie and the kiln bottoms, that’s about perfect for the majority of your weather down there...as far as a versatile base layer that you can rock from about 20-60...those are the temps that I wear my kiln stuff...if it gets below 35 ish I have to wear the kiln tops and bottoms and start layering more. I’ll usually run the kiln, the Klamath hoodie, and the catalyst system for the majority of the whitetail season. That system gets me down into the upper 30’s anyway and I run cold.

If I had no first lite gear at all and had to start from scratch, first thing I’d buy is the corrugate guide pants for all early season stuff, the kiln hoodie and bottoms as my base layers for the whole season (minus extremely hot weather), the Klamath hoodie as a hoodie to wear when it starts getting chilly, and the catalyst system (pants and jacket). That will get you through the majority of your season right there. That’s where I’d start.

Haha, you sound like my old man. That’s about all he wears and makes fun of me and he’ll never admit he gets cold but I know he does lol

as a bigger guy I’m sure you run warm anyway (correct me if I’m wrong) but for baselayers, if you run the kiln 250 hoodie and the kiln bottoms, that’s about perfect for the majority of your weather down there...as far as a versatile base layer that you can rock from about 20-60...those are the temps that I wear my kiln stuff...if it gets below 35 ish I have to wear the kiln tops and bottoms and start layering more. I’ll usually run the kiln, the Klamath hoodie, and the catalyst system for the majority of the whitetail season. That system gets me down into the upper 30’s anyway and I run cold.

If I had no first lite gear at all and had to start from scratch, first thing I’d buy is the corrugate guide pants for all early season stuff, the kiln hoodie and bottoms as my base layers for the whole season (minus extremely hot weather), the Klamath hoodie as a hoodie to wear when it starts getting chilly, and the catalyst system (pants and jacket). That will get you through the majority of your season right there. That’s where I’d start.
I do run hot while moving, but it always seems that the cold days down here are bitter cold due to the 80-90% humidity. Another thing to mention, I am planning to make an out of state trip each year starting this year to Missouri, KS, etc. Would a solitude set be a good swap out for the catalyst set and just change layering as needed to fit the day? Or would it be best to have both? I don't know if theyre both useful in the same situations or not. The biggest thing I need is something to cut the wind. Because when it's cold, it's usually windy as hell all day and the wind is really what gets me.

I am from Missouri, so it’s cool that you’re coming up. You plan on hunting public up here?

So my current outer layer system is Catalyst Soft Shell with layers until Novemberish and thenafter I go withthe Sanctuary set....only system I don’t have and cannot speak on yet is the solitude set unfortunately...the sanctuary set is bad to the bone when it comes to cold weather...I rocked it 2 years ago when it got down to 4 degrees one morning with snow and I was not cold in the least....with all that being said, I think that if I had to do everything over, I would pass on the sanctuary set and just buy the solitude set because the sanctuary is just so warm that I don’t get to use it very often. I didn’t know how much money you were planning on dropping, but if that's not an issue, I would definitely get the catalyst system and the solitude system...those 2 outer layer systems will cover everything you’ll ever need.

If money is no object, I’d get all 3 lol but the catalyst is perfect for early to mid season and the solitude with good base layers will cover everything after.

I am from Missouri, so it’s cool that you’re coming up. You plan on hunting public up here?

So my current outer layer system is Catalyst Soft Shell with layers until Novemberish and thenafter I go withthe Sanctuary set....only system I don’t have and cannot speak on yet is the solitude set unfortunately...the sanctuary set is bad to the bone when it comes to cold weather...I rocked it 2 years ago when it got down to 4 degrees one morning with snow and I was not cold in the least....with all that being said, I think that if I had to do everything over, I would pass on the sanctuary set and just buy the solitude set because the sanctuary is just so warm that I don’t get to use it very often. I didn’t know how much money you were planning on dropping, but if that's not an issue, I would definitely get the catalyst system and the solitude system...those 2 outer layer systems will cover everything you’ll ever need.

If money is no object, I’d get all 3 lol but the catalyst is perfect for early to mid season and the solitude with good base layers will cover everything after.
I'm planning to hunt public. Either Southern MO in Mark Twain or head up to the KS border and hunt some more farm country. Only reason I would choose that because it's close to the area in KS I'm looking at for next year and might would give me an opportunity to go knock on a few doors.

I'm planning to hunt public. Either Southern MO in Mark Twain or head up to the KS border and hunt some more farm country. Only reason I would choose that because it's close to the area in KS I'm looking at for next year and might would give me an opportunity to go knock on a few doors.

You’ll run into a few more hunters up north but the odds of killing a stud increase up there. There are good deer taken from Southern MO in that area every year so both are good options...can’t go wrong with either. I actually scouted Mark Twain this year for the 1st time...I’ve been down there 3 times so far. There is SOOOO much country down there it’s ridiculous. You’ll go miles without seeing folks...it’s really a hidden gem. ESPECIALLY during archery season. At least in my experience so far and what I’ve heard from some locals.

I have 300 acres of private that I hunt here mainly but I want to do the public land thing a few times next year just to challenge myself and do some exploring.

You’ll run into a few more hunters up north but the odds of killing a stud increase up there. There are good deer taken from Southern MO in that area every year so both are good options...can’t go wrong with either. I actually scouted Mark Twain this year for the 1st time...I’ve been down there 3 times so far. There is SOOOO much country down there it’s ridiculous. You’ll go miles without seeing folks...it’s really a hidden gem. ESPECIALLY during archery season. At least in my experience so far and what I’ve heard from some locals.

I have 300 acres of private that I hunt here mainly but I want to do the public land thing a few times next year just to challenge myself and do some exploring.
Yeah a guy from my area has family up there and he goes every year. They have good deer in Mark Twain for sure and you're damn right. There's a pile of country from what Ive seen on the maps. I'll definitely be going during archery season. Debating on either early season or end of October.

Back