• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

VPA 3 blade vs RMS 3 blade

Outdoorsman33

Is anyone shooting the VPA 3 blade or the rms 3 blade? Looking for some feed back on how you like and them how they shoot etc.

I got some 100 grain VPA 3 blades. Not bad, just weren’t for me. Only one has ever been shot. If you are interested let me know and I’m sure we can work out a cheaper price then what their go for is.

What size? I went to the VPA 150gr. this year and really like everything about them. They all spin as true as I have ever had a BH spin on my arrow tester. They are extremely durable and are very simple to sharpen. I have them paired up with 100gr. Ethics Inserts on my .340 spine GT Hunter XT shafts. These are great heads!!! Can't speak of the RMS's.

Personal opinion, I would go with the VPA. The RMS gear 3 blade's blade isn't straight and has a little arch to it. I can't see a big benefit in that and it would only complicate sharpening. With VPA heads all you have to do it keep them flat on something while sharpening.. I can't see the RMS heads being the same way.

I would bet they're both made by VPA though and I can assure you they're both very high quality heads.

I'm shooting 125 woodsmans. They are the same as the VPA 3 blade. Just cheaper. I've killed one deer with it them but tested them quite a bit. They're relatively easy to sharpen, fly pretty well out of a tuned bow (compound or recurve) and so far have produced great wound channels, had excellent penetration through bone and soft tissue and left a nice blood trail. I shot a buck just behind the shoulder and quartering away and would've been confident in screwing that head back on an arrow and continuing to hunt with it. According to some the VPA head is a higher quality version of the woodsman, so you probably wouldn't go wrong with VPA.

What size? I went to the VPA 150gr. this year and really like everything about them. They all spin as true as I have ever had a BH spin on my arrow tester. They are extremely durable and are very simple to sharpen. I have them paired up with 100gr. Ethics Inserts on my .340 spine GT Hunter XT shafts. These are great heads!!! Can't speak of the RMS's.
Looking at the 150 gr right now what’s the farthest you’ve shot them to and what kind of bow speed are you shooting with them?

Personal opinion, I would go with the VPA. The RMS gear 3 blade's blade isn't straight and has a little arch to it. I can't see a big benefit in that and it would only complicate sharpening. With VPA heads all you have to do it keep them flat on something while sharpening.. I can't see the RMS heads being the same way.

I would bet they're both made by VPA though and I can assure you they're both very high quality heads.
What way are you using to sharpen to VPA? Are you able to get them razor sharp? I’ve had issues with some blades that you just can’t get to sharpen good and hold that edge for long.

Looking at the 150 gr right now what’s the farthest you’ve shot them to and what kind of bow speed are you shooting with them?
I am shooting them right around 235-240fps with my heavy arrow setup (532grains). My draw length is 27" but my Darton Spectra E is a 345fps rated bow (IBO) with aggressive cams. Before I went heavy this year, it shot 373gr. arrows at 276fps at my relatively short DL. I also have a Matthews Chill R which is a rated 343fps IBO bow that I have as a back up and it shoots them great too. I shot these at a maximum of 40 yards. You will be impressed with these broadheads.

Back