• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Want to try climbing spurs

UMICH1

Which should I buy? I’ve heard the aluminum ones are good to start with. Or maybe just go all out and get the carbons ones. What you think?

Which should I buy? I’ve heard the aluminum ones are good to start with. Or maybe just go all out and get the carbons ones. What you think?
Starting with the aluminum ensure you won’t take that much of an economic loss in the event you don’t like them. They are also easy to resell if you want to upgrade later.

Although,,,,,,,,, the people who use them really seem to like them. I don't think it's to hard to learn to use them. If you go all out and get the carbon, and then mod them up and put quick snaps on for ease and quiet operation, you'll really know how good, really good spikes feel and work. I liken it to someone who tries to go fishing for the first time and buys ths ****tyest, cheapest rod and then struggles to cast with it, and then says fishing sucks. With the recent boom in saddle hunting, I don't think resale is going to be an issue. Will you you get every cent back, probably not. But you have to pay to play, and you'll get the experience. Education isn't cheap. If you get real stuck and can't get rid of them I'll give you half for them. LOL. If cost isn't the issue right now, I say dive into the deep end. I climbed for many years doing tree work. I was a speed climber in college, and I sometime have to pull out the spikes to do eagle banding for for my work here in MA with our Fish and Wildlife agency. IMHO they'd be a great addition to your hunting arsonal.

Although,,,,,,,,, the people who use them really seem to like them. I don't think it's to hard to learn to use them. If you go all out and get the carbon, and then mod them up and put quick snaps on for ease and quiet operation, you'll really know how good, really good spikes feel and work. I liken it to someone who tries to go fishing for the first time and buys ths ****tyest, cheapest rod and then struggles to cast with it, and then says fishing sucks. With the recent boom in saddle hunting, I don't think resale is going to be an issue. Will you you get every cent back, probably not. But you have to pay to play, and you'll get the experience. Education isn't cheap. If you get real stuck and can't get rid of them I'll give you half for them. LOL. If cost isn't the issue right now, I say dive into the deep end. I climbed for many years doing tree work. I was a speed climber in college, and I sometime have to pull out the spikes to do eagle banding for for my work here in MA with our Fish and Wildlife agency. IMHO they'd be a great addition to your hunting arsonal.
Based on your experience from your post, what do you recommend?

Aluminum climb rights with the ultralight pads. This is your best bang for the buck. I love my Gecko carbon fiber spurs, but they're spendy.

Aluminum climb rights with the ultralight pads. This is your best bang for the buck. I love my Gecko carbon fiber spurs, but they're spendy.

This is what I went with and they work great and are not really heavy at all. I add a Tree Squeeze for safety and feel really confident using them. I think the Gecko's would be nice, but there are plenty of other things I can spend my money on right now.

This is what I went with and they work great and are not really heavy at all. I add a Tree Squeeze for safety and feel really confident using them. I think the Gecko's would be nice, but there are plenty of other things I can spend my money on right now.
What is a tree squeeze?

Back