• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wanting to be up in a tree, lead me here.

jmbknvc

Hello Everyone from a New Member,

A newbie to saddle hunting this season if everything works out. Looking forward to learning more from the forum and providing my experience from a newbie's perspective.

Now a short background on how I ended up choosing to try saddle hunting and joining the forum. After a long break from bow hunting I started back up last year and went a couple of times on my deer lease. Using stick ladders and lock-on stands. However, south Arkansas pine plantations that make up the lease have limited options to bow hunt from and limited quality of bucks. So, I planned to start hunting some public land to chase better quality bucks. So, the search was on for a climbing system to use on public land, because I was not going to carry in my metal quick ladder and metal lock-on stand in and out each hunt. As for a climber. I had one in the past and liked it for hunting in the mature pine plantations. However, it takes time to learn how far to lean the platform & seat up to have it pretty level at hunting height. Didn’t want to go through that again and the limiting factor of only straight trees without branches was another concern. So, now I am down to looking at climbing sticks and lock-on stands. Let the internet search begin.

Knowing what I was looking for and what I didn’t want in my climbing system. I spent all past Saturday on the internet reading and watching YouTube videos. Would like to say that Boudreaux Boswell, DIY Sportsman, G2 Outdoors, Wild Edge, and some others have excellent reviews and information that helped out. On the climbing system, I wanted something that does not have an alternating step. Which is on my quick ladders and don’t like. Therefore it is now down to Muddy climbing sticks and the Wild Edge SteppLadder. Now it was time to look for a lock-on. After looking at prices, and seeing the saddle system when looking at the climbing system. I was very interested and did some more looking around before making a decision.

Here is what I settled on for my public land hunting setup this year.
Climbing System Wild Edge SteppLadder
Saddle Mantis
Platform Predator

I’m sure after or during the season I will have some adjustments that will be made and will be providing my experience.

Looking forward to the hunting season and becoming an active member on the forum.

Welcome! I am new also and waiting on my Mantis/Predator and WE Stepps to arrive. Just ordered the materials needed to make my Knaider\Swaider to get me maximum height with fewer Stepps.

Welcome! I’m new here too and just went through your same analysis this past weekend and came to the same conclusions for my setup. We shall see how it works once my packages start arriving to practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the site, I think that’s a pretty similar path for most here! You’ll prob get plent of time to practice w/ we stepps, in advance of your saddle. Make sure you have a linesman’s belt & spend plenty of time with them. Also check out @boyne bowhunter knot. Waaaaay better, plenty of climbing alternatives with that setup.

Welcome to the site, I think that’s a pretty similar path for most here! You’ll prob get plent of time to practice w/ we stepps, in advance of your saddle. Make sure you have a linesman’s belt & spend plenty of time with them. Also check out @boyne bowhunter knot. Waaaaay better, plenty of climbing alternatives with that setup.

Thanks for that tip @Bigterp . I will definitely be trying that technique out.

Thanks for the advice and your probably right. I got a M7 to start off the season with.

Welcome! I’m new here too and just went through your same analysis this past weekend and came to the same conclusions for my setup. We shall see how it works once my packages start arriving to practice.

We will have to keep in touch throughout the season to share information.
Hope you have a good season.

We will have to keep in touch throughout the season to share information.
Hope you have a good season.

Sounds good. Thanks and I hope your season is good as well.

Back