• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

WARNING: Unsafe Modifications to my Hawk Heliums

SWVAturkeyhunter

Vendor Rep
I finally took the time to finish modifying one of my Hawk Helium sticks today. I didn’t have a scale in the shop handy to get a finished weight but it feels noticeably lighter in hand now. I cut some strips of closed cell foam and put them in the channel of the main post of the stick. I then took the remainder of the sheet and wrapped it around the main post and covered it with vet wrap from tractor supply. The steps contact the foam inside the channel now, rather than metal to metal. These are very very quiet now. I didn’t change out the versa button, but I did remove the friction grommets from them as I really don’t see them being all that useful. I changed the buckle strap out for a 5’ piece of 1/4” amsteel with and piece of 11/16” tubular webbing as a friction guard. My step to step distance is 24”. Over all length was just under 26” I think, with the terminal ends being rounded off to get rid of any sharp edges. I may try cutting another set to have a 20” Step eventually, but I’m looking forward to trying these first to see how they pack in the timber. Overall, I’m extremely pleased with the final result!

e4a36621a220a9c4f6e59794afac329b.jpg
eb6960233d392f0a1b8683a99322375d.jpg
6c49b8951604f91b2ad756f420ba65a3.jpg
baeb37017d6a3ff780151088e268f033.jpg

Todd Perkins
-Regional Prostaff Manager for Mossy Oak
-Arcus Hunting Field Staff member
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice work! Post that weight when you have it if you don't mind.

Is this safe?

I would say yes. I may flex some now but not to the point of failure. IMHO.
The biggest problem I see is if he wants it shorter he cannot make it shorter now.

I think the look great. I’m looking forward to the weights myself!

After thinking about the metal removed, I would say side to side flex would be increased which is probably irrelevant.
Front to back flex should not change since the main support metal in that direction was not removed.

Before and after weights are needed to know if it's worth the effort. That rail is pretty light as it comes with the holes in it.

I don’t have a weight yet. I hope to be able to finish my other two shortly. I may cut another set down to have a 20” step spacing just for kicks and giggles. As far as to whether or not it’s safe, I my opinion I think it’s plenty safe. I’m 265 lbs and tried it on a forearm sized tree and a volleyball sized tree after I finished it. It felt rock solid with me bouncing on the steps, so I’m very confident with the changes. I like the thinner profile of the post with the foam around it. It makes it fit your hand well and on a chilly morning you’re not touching cold metal, plus it dang near silent. Of course I don’t recommend anyone do this as you void the warranty and assume all the risk and all that yada yada.

Todd Perkins

You cut the rails off with and angle grinder?

You cut the rails off with and angle grinder?

Yep. Cut off wheel for getting the side off then a grinding disc to rough out the high spots. I cone stone in a dremel then to smooth it all out.

Todd Perkins

Finally finished the other two up last week. My finished weight for the set of three is 7lbs 1oz @at a 24” step spacing with a 5’ piece of 1/4” amsteel rope. I’m sure if I took the foam and vet wrap off, it might shave off an ounce or two, but it really makes them silent. You can see that I used a different tape on one of the sticks. That is athletic joint wrapping tape from Walmart. It’s ok I guess, but I like the stretchy vet wrap from Tractor Supply much better. My other set, bone stock, is an even 10lbs with the buckles. I’m gonna cut them down to a 20” step spacing also just to tinker.
4858c288546427874f92c2b83ecbeb95.jpg
1ff9bf3cf658a2f18ac0d1062c6e72bb.jpg
ef4d69adf1f5503a1e826c21c82b1d0b.jpg

Todd Perkins

Finally finished the other two up last week. My finished weight for the set of three is 7lbs 1oz @at a 24” step spacing with a 5’ piece of 1/4” amsteel rope. I’m sure if I took the foam and vet wrap off, it might shave off an ounce or two, but it really makes them silent. You can see that I used a different tape on one of the sticks. That is athletic joint wrapping tape from Walmart. It’s ok I guess, but I like the stretchy vet wrap from Tractor Supply much better. My other set, bone stock, is an even 10lbs with the buckles. I’m gonna cut them down to a 20” step spacing also just to tinker.
Did you take off the suction cup things as well?

Did you take off the suction cup things as well?

Yes. To me, I see no use for them. A bungee cord is all that’s really needed to hold them tight together.

Todd Perkins

Guys, I noticed a lot of flex this evening in one of my modified sticks. I didn’t notice it when I finished the first stick, but i had a buddy with me today showing them to him and was paying more attention. Will they work, probably. But, It’s more risk than I’m really willing to accept. I may continue to practice with them JUST TO SEE, but I don’t know if i really feel comfortable with them now. I’m concerned that repetitive flexing in the same spot on the stick will lead to a failure. I’m glad I bought a second set, cause I may have to chalk these up as a loss! Cutting the sides down reduced the side to side rigidity of the stick more significantly than I thought it would. I wanted to post here to update. If you decide to cut your Hawk sticks shorter, PLEASE DO NOT CUT THE SIDES AWAY!!!

Todd Perkins

4858c288546427874f92c2b83ecbeb95.jpg
1ff9bf3cf658a2f18ac0d1062c6e72bb.jpg
ef4d69adf1f5503a1e826c21c82b1d0b.jpg

Todd Perkins

I think these are absolutely phenomenal. The slender profile is good for packability and bulk reduction too. I’m bummed I already nodded mine.

Guys, I noticed a lot of flex this evening in one of my modified sticks. I didn’t notice it when I finished the first stick, but i had a buddy with me today showing them to him and was paying more attention. Will they work, probably. But, It’s more risk than I’m really willing to accept. I may continue to practice with them JUST TO SEE, but I don’t know if i really feel comfortable with them now. I’m concerned that repetitive flexing in the same spot on the stick will lead to a failure. I’m glad I bought a second set, cause I may have to chalk these up as a loss! Cutting the sides down reduced the side to side rigidity of the stick more significantly than I thought it would. I wanted to post here to update. If you decide to cut your Hawk sticks shorter, PLEASE DO NOT CUT THE SIDES AWAY!!!

Todd Perkins

I’ll take em! I’ll sign a waiver :grimacing:

I’ll take em! I’ll sign a waiver :grimacing:

Hahaha! Man, I was so pumped the other night when I finished them too! They may very well work. But, it seems too risky. I’m pretty bummed about it man!! Haha

Todd Perkins

After thinking about the metal removed, I would say side to side flex would be increased which is probably irrelevant.
Front to back flex should not change since the main support metal in that direction was not removed.
Unfortunately this is not true. The sticks are built like an I beam. The majority of the bending load is carried by the outside flanges, not the center section. Cutting away the flanges severely weakens the stick with respect to bending in the front to back direction.

Back