• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Watch out for those belligerent trespassers!

huck72412

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Yesterday evening I was hunting a new property that a friend and I gained access to earlier this year. It was a little breezy and almost comfortable which is RARE for an early season Georgia hunt. At some point I heard movement behind me and turned to see two guys working their way toward me swinging metal detectors. Hunt over but the drama was only beginning. They were wearing earphones ( for signal detection) and walking with their heads down so it took forever to get their attention. One of them finally lifted his head and I was able to get his attention. He immediately took off his earphones and approached his ( cowardly, no good, lucky to be breathing, better be glad I was stuck in a tree, punk face, goofy earphone wearing, no girlfriend having, mama's boy buddy) and together they came over to my tree. It wasn't long before they start getting loud. I explained repeatedly that a friend and I had exclusive rights to be on the property. They were clearly disappointed and angry and knew they didn't belong so they just kept yelling. After a few unpleasant exchanges one of them harnessed all of the goodness from within and chose a rather elegant way to describe me. It rhymes with ( other trucker). I was done at this point and suggested once more that they leave or I'd have to contact the owner. They mumbled a few more obscenities and started back in the direction they'd come from. Then one of them dropped his detector, picked up a rock and drilled me in the leg with it. They cut out of there running like children. I hung there thinking about how glad I was that I wasn't on the ground because these savages may have beat me senseless with their detectors. Dear November, please hurry and get here.

hysterical ... as for assault, I am sure it classifies as it is, but I would not be looking to take this any where but SADDLEHUNTER.COM!!

Dude, be careful. Store manager at my old job had a childhood buddy that had a similar encounter with trespassers while sitting in a ladderstand with his son. He got down to confront the men, they had words, and when he went to climb back up and get his son to leave one of them shot him. I want to say the kid was about 12, and had to walk back out to the main road to call 9-11 to come get his daddy. Guy didn't survive.

I know that's a worst-case scenario story, but it pays to be cautious. It's a hard pill to swallow, but getting confrontational out in the woods (even if you're 100% in the right) can get you in a world of hurt.

Yeah I remember hearing about two guys (Michigan I think?) in the '80's getting into it with some other folks about a deer. They ran into them that night at a bar, both guys ended up getting beaten to death and thrown into a hog pen. Only way they got caught was a witness turned them in and they were able to recover some teeth and bits of clothing from the pen. They said one of the murderers told someone "Hogs gotta eat to" Totally not worth it!

hysterical ... as for assault, I am sure it classifies as it is, but I would not be looking to take this any where but SADDLEHUNTER.COM!!
Except the guys get away with it and do it again because they think nothing will happen. And next time maybe they really injure someone because it doesnt hit them in the leg. This is why I carry concealed while hunting.

It’s assault, hunter harassment & I’d claim intent to cause major bodily harm or fatally fall

All illegal

I’d get the cops & find them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I remember hearing about two guys (Michigan I think?) in the '80's getting into it with some other folks about a deer. They ran into them that night at a bar, both guys ended up getting beaten to death and thrown into a hog pen. Only way they got caught was a witness turned them in and they were able to recover some teeth and bits of clothing from the pen. They said one of the murderers told someone "Hogs gotta eat to" Totally not worth it!

I suspect you're talking about this

https://www.amazon.com/Darker-than-Night-Homicide-18-Year/dp/0312936761

Great book, highly recommended!

I second the suggestion to carry concealed.

I also carry concealed. And I pray I’ll never have to use it. But as a former prison guard, I know what some people are capable of. And I want to encourage everyone to have some kind of insurance or other legal protection in place. If you ever have to defend yourself, even justifiable so, you’ll probably be arrested and face an expensive legal nightmare. The NRA has some kinda of plan, as well as many other firearm owners groups. I personally am a member of the Armed Citizen’s Legal Defence Network. If you carry, you need to know who to call after calling 911.

Carrying isn't a bad idea, but TBH I wouldn't be going back to the property. Isn't worth the headache in my opinion. I'd let the landowner know he has a problem with trespassers, and find another place. You've already lost one morning out of your life, and every time you go back you'll be thinking about it the whole time. Why worry about it when you don't even own the property?

Speaking from first hand experience, tresspassers are a nightmare to get rid of. Law enforcement doesn't like to get involved, and if you take them to court you're likely to spin your wheels for an indeterminate amount of time.

Depending on Ga laws it may be assault & battery, aggravated assault, assault with a deadly weapon etc.

I would report it to the property owner at the very least.

damn make sure you report them to the landowner too - clearly they failed to recognize greatness when they saw it. Stay safe - we don't need a SH martyr - we'd have to put a statue up at Holbrook Campground and make annual pilgrimages

damn make sure you report them to the landowner too - clearly they failed to recognize greatness when they saw it. Stay safe - we don't need a SH martyr - we'd have to put a statue up at Holbrook Campground and make annual pilgrimages
LOLOLO Jay, I was trying to ask them if they had any clue the enormity of their actions. At one point I loudly declared " this must stop immediately, I'm huck72412 "

Back