• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Waterknot

noxninja

So I watched Dave's video on youtube about making an adjustable bridge using a waterknot. Anyone else do this? I ordered about 6' of tubular webbing to give it a try. DOes the knot not set tight when you put weight on it making it difficult to untie or is this a set it and forget it type mod?

One feature of the water knot is that you can untie it after it has been loaded. Be sure to dress the knot well (no twists) and leave extra tail to start. Then after you really have it set, don't get too stingy and cut the tails close.

How is the bridge adjustable? Or do you just mean that you can tie it again to adjust it?

How is the bridge adjustable? Or do you just mean that you can tie it again to adjust it?[/QUOTE]

you answered it...my question was does it constrict too tightly to untie after weight has been applied to it....so apparently that is the purpose of the water knot in the first place. LOL! So I ordered a 6' piece....how long should I cut it leaving room for adjustment? I was thinking of trying a 48" bridge since the 36" seems way more comfortable that the 24"

Leave it full length and tie a continuous loop that runs through the sit drag loops and joins the ends together. That's what a water knot does.
http://www.animatedknots.com/waterk...png&Website=www.animatedknots.com#ScrollPoint
But with 6' it will be less than 36". I would be surprised (though possible) if you really want a bridge that long.

Doing a 'one sided water knot' is not a good idea. It's just an overhand. The Waterknot is two opposing overhand knots threaded through each other that pull each other tight. If you leave a LONG TAIL I guess you could do that to find your length but I don't know how easy it will untie.

Once you feel good about your bridge length, an Overhand Knot on a Bight Rethread is the way to go using one length of webbing loop to loop but you won't be able to untie it.

Back