• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Waterproofing

Weldabeast

SH Member
I tried searching some of the rock climber forums but never found any info and those guys are a little anal retentive....have any of you guys used waterproofing spray (like camp dry or other silicone spray) on your tether and bridge ropes. I've never done anything to the ropes on my climbing sticks but they aren't directing water toward my waist. I am only public land and the quota hunts here are mostly all 3 day hunts so I go out no matter the weather and i seem to always get wet on at least 1of those days. Just wondering if anyone else had sprayed their ropes and how it worked out. I was going to add a drip line to the tether regardless.

I haven't on mine but I did get some nikwax on my old tree harness tether and let me tell you I wished I hadn't. It made the rope slicker than greased owl crap and the prussik would slip a bit before grabbing. I'd think you wouldn't want anything on your rope that would cause it to be slippery. Dunno how that'd effect a ropeman or similar aid.

I saw the nikwax online. I treat all my other gear with the silicon spray stuff and never noticed any different in the material but a rope and a backpack are definitely not the same. Is putting rain pants on doable from a platform? My saddle is supposed to arrive Tuesday so I'll be able to experiment with it soon enough

Back